• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Barn Conversion

nitramnaed

Sawhorse
Hello Everyone,
I have a project were they want to do a barn conversion. To be honest I don't know where to start. I've attached a preliminary plan layout and sections.
Here is the description of the project:
  • Existing Guest Lodging Unit: to remain as is, guests rent for 1-14 nights at a time. VRBO/AirBnB type space
  • New Guest Lodging Unit: same intent as existing. Type C accessibility required
  • Meat Sales: pork sold here. Refrigerated meat display and point of sale only. Meat cold storage is in another facility on site.
  • Learning Farm Presentation Space: this is to host groups of approx. 25 for learning presentations (meat process, farm life, raising animals, etc)
Here are some of my thoughts:
  • Occupancy: assuming R-3 for the guest lodging and B for learning farm/meat sales (not positive on this one, but it doesn’t quite feel like an A-3 or an E)
  • Building Envelope: I’m pretty much just considering the barn structure as a rainscreen and building new walls within for insulation and environmental control layers. See sections (gets a little weird at arched walls/roof)
  • Fire Rating: I think a 2 hr rating is required if they want that learning farm/meat sales space. How to do this…. I think this space will be a phase 2 (future), so my approach is: install without rated walls initially (and consider the remainder of the barn as accessory storage. It’s not currently serving any ag related function) and then when the learning farm/sales space is installed in phase 2, all of the phase 2 walls get a 2 hr rating plus the ceiling
  • Accessibility: I believe the new unit needs to be Type C accessible. Turning radius, clearances, etc. and restroom with blocking for future install of grab bars, but none initially. I believe we need an ADA parking space for both the new guest lodging suite and for the learning farm area (I don’t think they can share a space because I don’t think there will be an accessible route between the two areas).
Any thoughts on where I should start would be great...Kind of throwing this out there for anyone that might have been involved in a project type like this.
This is 2018 IBC.

Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

• Plan and Sections_101121.pdf
    355.8 KB · Views: 6
$ $ = $ $

Start with listing all of the Codes & Standards that are
applicable to this jurisdiction.

Calculate all of the Occupant Loads by the appropriate
Occupancy Groups.

Check for any required fire separation requirements
of the planned Occupancy Groups.