• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Baseball Dug-0ut

Examiner

If a baseball dug-out has a single fixture restroom for the players, is the restroom required to be accessible. The ADA/ABA has a Section 206.7.9 about Team or Player Seating under the Platform Lift section. I know that a baseball player may be injured and required to dress out for a game and sit on the bench. Also the dug-out is not really recessed in the ground but level with the playing field. Your input is welcome.

Is there anything excepting this area due to requirements to perform the work would not allow a person with a physical disability?

My wifes softball coach when she played on an adult leaque was in a wheelchair. He also was the high school coach for the girls softball teams at 2 different schools that I knew of. So I would agree it needs to be accesible

I'm going on the assumption that we are discussing ADA requirements here. I haven't been to or watched a baseball game in a long, long, long time.

Have all professional, high school, and College ball fields been brought up to ADA Standards?

In dugouts; are the accessible ramps, wheel chair turning radius, etc.; all being required?

Inquiring mind, wants to know,

Uncle Bob

FWIW, some Accessibility issues deal with people [ team members ] hobbling in to the dug out on crutches.

Thanks all. I had also sent an email to the tech division of the Access Board. I actually got a phone call back and they confirmed that the Dug-out will be required to be accessible. I had thought so, but others in the office questioned me when I told them it had to be accessible.

I'd require it to be accessible.. just because.

Crutches are a temporary condition.. having a really good coach who had a car wreck 5 years ago and can't walk shouldn't be left out of the dug out.

If it is being altered or constructed new it must comply. UB: Not all dug outs or other sports issues have been brought up to A117.1 or the IBC. When they get changed they need to be in compliance.

Footnote: Don't forget the braille exit signs on the Umpire egress doors either.

Yes, we just finished building our Sports Complex, wheel chair areas were provide in each dugout (grade level).

06 IBC 1108.2.2.4 Team or player seating. At least one wheelchair space shall be provided in team or player seating areas serving areas of sport activity.

Exception: Wheelchair spaces shall not be required in team or player seating areas serving bowling lanes that are not required to be located on an accessible route in accordance with Section 1109.14.4.1.