• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

basement escape window location

TJacobs

Sawhorse
Have an application for permit for a finished basement. The only escape window in the basement is located in the unfinished area labeled "storage" with the mechanicals.

Would you require the window be visible to the habitable space? No bedrooms are involved.

Might be easier to get through the storage room with mechanicals then the teenagers bedroom locate in the basement.

Seriously I would prefer the egress window in the habitable area of the basement but I do not see how I could require it by code.

I agree with mt, maybe not an ideal location, but the code just says in the basement and sleeping rooms.

I approved an identical situation recently. Doesn't seem ideal, but other than basement/sleeping room, I didn't see anything prohibiting it.

mj

An ICC/IRC interpretation says that condition is fine. The openings are not required in the specific spaces or areas other than a sleeping area. A nearly identical question to yours appears in the 2009 interpretations book and the answer is that it is allowable.

It is unclear from the post, is this an areafor mech. equip and storage, or a walled off room. If it is a separate room, I would say you need an EERO from the basement portion.

To stretch an example to make a point, what if you have a "basement", with a separate "storage room", and there is another room inside that, where the EERO exists. Would that meet the intent of having an EERO in the "basement", having to travel through 2 or 3 rooms to get there?.??

We have disallowed EERO's in master bathrooms to count as the required one from the master bedroom.

JMHO

Finished part is about 3/4 of the basement, the rest is mech/storage. Once you open the door to the mech space the window is across and to the right and visible.

TJacobs said:
Finished part is about 3/4 of the basement, the rest is mech/storage. Once you open the door to the mech space the window is across and to the right and visible.
Thank you for the clarification. I read the ICC interpretation, which was based on the 2003 IRC. Not sure if they would change their position.

I disagree with them in this instance.

I think it would be similar to if you have a master suite with an attached master bathroom. Can the only EERO be located in the bathroom? or should it be inside the actual bedroom?

The other issue to consdier is that interpretations can be rendered by the building official and at times may be contrary to the ICC's opinions.