• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Icaro Vasconcelos

Hi guys, nice to meet you! My first time posting here. My name is Ícaro, I am a Brazilian GC living in CT, and I have a few questions about basement/storage finishing...

At the moment I am facing a situation where the property has a stairway leading to the basement that isn't code compliant (all steps are good, but 1 it's just 6ft height). Since this is "grandfathered", can I pull the permit and get the basement finished without getting any problems? Honestly, I'm not sure anymore, since I already had a similar problem in the past weeks. But a couple months ago, the very same situation happened to me and the building inspector was ok with that (both cases the stairway was grandfathered, both cases was basement finishing with full bathroom etc etc, but the case where I wasn't able to use the stairway I had a bedroom which I added a egress window, but other than that, they were basically the same thing).

Thanks for your attention and kindness on helping each other! May God bless your life.

Hi guys, nice to meet you! My first time posting here. My name is Ícaro, I am a Brazilian GC living in CT, and I have a few questions about basement/storage finishing...

At the moment I am facing a situation where the property has a stairway leading to the basement that isn't code compliant (all steps are good, but 1 it's just 6ft height). Since this is "grandfathered", can I pull the permit and get the basement finished without getting any problems? Honestly, I'm not sure anymore, since I already had a similar problem in the past weeks. But a couple months ago, the very same situation happened to me and the building inspector was ok with that (both cases the stairway was grandfathered, both cases was basement finishing with full bathroom etc etc, but the case where I wasn't able to use the stairway I had a bedroom which I added a egress window, but other than that, they were basically the same thing).

Thanks for your attention and kindness on helping each other! May God bless your life.
Welcome...There is a CT specific section of this forum also and encourage your peers to sign up...Here is the CT amended headroom section:

(Amd) R311.7.2 Headroom. The minimum headroom in all parts of the stairway shall not be less than 6
feet, 8 inches (2032 mm) measured vertically from the sloped line adjoining the tread nosing or from the
floor surface of the landing or platform on that portion of the stairway.
Exceptions:
1. Where the nosing of treads at the side of a flight extend under the edge of a floor opening through
which the stair passes, the floor opening shall be allowed to project horizontally into the required
headroom a maximum of 4¾ inches (121 mm).
2. The minimum headroom in all parts of existing stairways serving existing unfinished attics or
existing unfinished basements being converted to habitable space or replacement stairs where the
pitch or slope cannot be reduced because of existing construction shall be 6 feet, 4 inches (1930
mm), measured in accordance with Section R311.7.2.

The State Office of the State Building Inspector can give you reductions beyond what code says for hardship or just cause:
(Add) R104.10.1 Connecticut State Building Code. Pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-254 of the
Connecticut General Statutes, the State Building Inspector may grant modifications, variations or
exemptions from, or approve equivalent or alternative compliance with, the Connecticut State Building
Code where strict compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code would entail practical difficulty
or unnecessary hardship, or is otherwise adjudged unwarranted, provided the intent of the law shall be
observed and public welfare and safety be assured. Any person aggrieved by any decision of the State
Building Inspector may appeal to the Codes and Standards Committee not later than 30 days after mailing
of the decision.

Icaro,

Is it possible that a floor joist over the last step be cut out and the ends be supported by a post, beam or wall? If this is possible you might be able to cut floor joist material into 45° triangles to support the floor back to the next floor joist giving you additional headroom?

___floor_
l /
l /
l /
l

As a general rule of thumb:
If there is a change of use, egress components must meet required code, except where an exception is provided by code.

As a general rule of thumb:
If there is a change of use, egress components must meet required code, except where an exception is provided by code.
Not really a change of use per se, as it would still be IRC/R3 but certainly could be considered a change of occupancy under the IRC and IEBC....2 definitions for the same thing is never a good idea...

[RB] CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. A change in the use of
a building or portion of a building that involves a change in
the application of the requirements of this code.

[A] CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. Any of the following
shall be considered as a change of occupancy where the
current International Building Code requires a greater degree
of safety, accessibility, structural strength, fire protection,
means of egress, ventilation or sanitation than is existing in
the current building or structure:
1. Any change in the occupancy classification of a
building or structure.
2. Any change in the purpose of, or a change in the
level of activity within, a building or structure.

3. A change of use.

Change of occupancy is a reference to change of use which is the broadly used code designation.
"2. Any change in the purpose of, or a change in the
level of activity within, a building or structure."
is so broad and abstract, I have never seen it referenced in a code interpretation: I don't see the vast majority of BO being able to articulate "purpose", or provide empirical judgements regarding change in "level of activity": these are not defined within the code, and would require a degree of conjecture about use which would be unfounded.

Change of occupancy is a reference to change of use which is the broadly used code designation.
"2. Any change in the purpose of, or a change in the
level of activity within, a building or structure."
is so broad and abstract, I have never seen it referenced in a code interpretation: I don't see the vast majority of BO being able to articulate "purpose", or provide empirical judgements regarding change in "level of activity": these are not defined within the code, and would require a degree of conjecture about use which would be unfounded.
Don't worry...most building officials won't call it, but occasionally you will get a smart one....

Sooo.....you can have a B hair salon or a B medical building.......Same "use" but way different uses or requirements unless you want your hair dresser doing your appendectomy...

The State Office of the State Building Inspector can give you reductions beyond what code says for hardship or just cause:
Taking a shot to the head while going down a stairway is not something that I would condone as a hardship or just cause. Given that the dimension has already been reduced for a basement conversion...asking for more is like saying that the issue is not settled.