• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Basement vs crawl space

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I had to write a comment on a plan review:

Sheet A1.01 specifies a under floor area of 300 sq. ft. as a basement while sheet A3.01 specifies a crawl space hatch for the access.
If a basement a emergency escape and rescue opening is required.
If a crawl space and not vented to the outside it is required to comply with IRC 408.3 (mechanical ventilation)

The plans indicate that the floor rafters for the 1st floor will be 7' above the unfinished concrete floor of this small space which is mostly underground.
This made me think do I let the designer decide if it is a basement or a crawl space and why are these spaces that are built the same treated so differently for ventilation by the code?