• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathroom Fixture Count (2020 BCNYS)

VLADIMIR LEVIN

Existing Building S-1 occupancy, changing part of it to F-1
New Occupant Load is 13
Existing single user bathroom.

Trying to determine if I need to provide separate facilities.
2902.2 exception says "...not required where multiuser facilities for both sexes provided.

Do I still need to divide the occupant load in half per 2902.1.1 in which case I would need to add a a toilet and sink
or
2902.1.1 goes on to say that "total number of fixtures shall be permitted to be based on any combination of single user, multi-user and separate facilities.
Do I still need to provide the amount of fixtures required for each sex?

I found the answer in a technical bulletin: essentially you still have to divide the occupant load 50/50, but you can distribute the fixtures in different combinations of single-use, multi-use, or separate sex facilities. This is for the 2020 BCNYS.
The 2021 IBC makes more sense; it allows 100% of the occupant load to be used for multi-use facilities.

I found the answer in a technical bulletin: essentially you still have to divide the occupant load 50/50, but you can distribute the fixtures in different combinations of single-use, multi-use, or separate sex facilities. This is for the 2020 BCNYS.
The 2021 IBC makes more sense; it allows 100% of the occupant load to be used for multi-use facilities.
I am available for 2018 IBC now, and per exception 2 of 2902.2 the building does not require separate facilities.