• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathroom Recep location

480sparky said:
(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, located on the countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for the application shall be permitted to be installed in the countertop.
I was not clear- As it stands now it must be within 12" when installed in the side of a cabinet but can be by the floor on the wall next to the cabinet. My proposal was to limit how far down the receptacle may be even on the wall not just on the cabinet.

Here is the wording I suggested

(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, located on the countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet. In no case shall the receptacle be located more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the top of the basin. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for the application shall be permitted to be installed in the countertop. Informational Note: See 406.5(E) for requirements for installation of receptacles in countertops

Dennis said:
I was not clear- As it stands now it must be within 12" when installed in the side of a cabinet but can be by the floor on the wall next to the cabinet. My proposal was to limit how far down the receptacle may be even on the wall not just on the cabinet.
About the only way you're going to get a floor recep within 36" of the basin is to install it right where you need to stand.

480sparky said:
About the only way you're going to get a floor recep within 36" of the basin is to install it right where you need to stand.
Pedestal sink near a wall. I have seen it and so have others. Not common but it should not be allowed since the code limits 12" down on the cabinet. It should be consistent. Sometimes proposals are made to just clarify the intent-- someone always seems to push the intent. We'll see what they do with it.

(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin countertop, or installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop.
So is it the consensus here that this is legal?

ICE said:
So is it the consensus here that this is legal?
In my opinion is that legal for 2 reasons. 1st of all it's more than 300 mm below the countertop. Secondly, if not on the side of her face of the cabinet the 2nd reason could be questioned because it is below the countertop but its location is definitely wrong as far as elevation is concerned.

Msradell said:
In my opinion it is not legal! The receptacle is more than 300 mm below the countertop. It does meet all of the other criteria.
We have been slow enough that I have been following up on permits where there hasn't been any action in six months or more. This job is a bathroom remodel that didn't get a final inspection. When I mentioned the lack of a receptacle for the basin, I was told to look at the electrical permit. Sure enough, the rough wiring was signed. I said that I wouldn't be able to help them with that and wrote the correction. The owner asked for a code section. I told him to call me at the office between 8:00 and 9:00.

In the long run, it's not a big deal. It does work for this guy. It something gets pulled off the counter because of the low slung cord it will be in the toilet.

I say this because the code will not back me up....so I must be wrong.

The receptacle and cord are getting splattered on for sure. Who hasn't been drunk enough to pee all over that receptacle? I bet that would hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's way past 12" but I don't want to get in a pi$$ing match with a poorly written code to rely on.

We don't think the violation is worth the trouble because we are men. Ask any woman.

I certainly agree with you that given the circumstances it's probably not worth the hassle of fighting this one. IMHO the code section is precise enough to back you up because of the distance requirement but it's probably not worth the fight.