• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bathroom remodel

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Residential bathroom remodel, reconfiguration of space.

All wiring removed back to an existing junction box in the basement.

New wiring then installed from the existing junction box in the basement to include the GFCI, lights and fan.

The existing junction box that they wired from which previously did the same job except for no fan is part of a 15A circuit.

The main panel is in the basement which is unfinished.

Would your jurisdiction require the electrician to run a new 20A circuit for the GFCI receptacle in this instance?

Re: Bathroom remodel

RJJ said:
What would NJ have to do with PA?
Nothing other than the fact that I posed the same question on another board and it was 100% YES except for one person from NJ who pointed out their rehab code. I am aware of it and it is complicated to me. It is a curiosity for me.

"Would your jurisdiction"

If I were an AHJ, I would not require an upgrade to 20amps. At most the owners will have to reset the breaker a couple times before they learn.

But I think the question is "Does jar546's jurisdiction require it?"

Yes we do and I just had this exact situation where they had to run a new 20A circuit. They did not give me any grief over it and were happy to comply. It got me thinking about other areas due to some other phone calls.

An electrician said he was changing out a main panel and wanted to know if I required them to install AFCI breakers. My answer was not unless they were adding breakers to the existing bedroom circuits (2005 NEC). I heard that some jurisdictions require an upgrade to afci protection for a panel swap and other areas let you do whatever you want.

I would say if the breakers are getting changed because they are not compatible with the new panel mfg. Then yes replace them with ACFI :)

Yes, and with a bathroom remodel smoke detectors need to be hardwired with battery back-up and afci protected with some exceptions.

dcspector said:
GHRoberts said:
At most the owners will have to reset the breaker a couple times before they learn.
Huh?

I was suggesting that most people with older houses seem to bet by with 15amp circuits. They learn what devices they can use at the same time and get on with thier lives.

15amp circuits are not safety issues. They are just not to present code.

GHRoberts said:
dcspector said:
GHRoberts said:
At most the owners will have to reset the breaker a couple times before they learn.
Huh?
I was suggesting that most people with older houses seem to bet by with 15amp circuits. They learn what devices they can use at the same time and get on with thier lives.

15amp circuits are not safety issues. They are just not to present code.

ok

jar546 said:
Yes we do and I just had this exact situation where they had to run a new 20A circuit. They did not give me any grief over it and were happy to comply. It got me thinking about other areas due to some other phone calls.An electrician said he was changing out a main panel and wanted to know if I required them to install AFCI breakers. My answer was not unless they were adding breakers to the existing bedroom circuits (2005 NEC). I heard that some jurisdictions require an upgrade to afci protection for a panel swap and other areas let you do whatever you want.
Same here with the AFCI, because of possibility of shared neutrals, new circuits only.

Share-neutral circuit will not be a problem, because Murray has double pole AFCI breaker.

As long as only panel upgrade not rewire bedrooms AFCI will not be required.

Residential bathroom remodel, reconfiguration of space.

All wiring removed back to an existing junction box in the basement.

New wiring then installed from the existing junction box in the basement to include the GFCI, lights and fan.

The existing junction box that they wired from which previously did the same job except for no fan is part of a 15A circuit.

The main panel is in the basement which is unfinished.

Would your jurisdiction require the electrician to run a new 20A circuit for the GFCI receptacle in this instance also check out chicago bathroom remodeling contractor?
I am taking bids on a bathroom remodel this week. Just wondering if any of you have dealt with the taxable write-off involved in doing it. I want to do it right so I can write it off. Hell......it is more expensive than a Harley Davidson motor and transmission, it doesn't seem right

I am taking bids on a bathroom remodel this week. Just wondering if any of you have dealt with the taxable write-off involved in doing it. I want to do it right so I can write it off. Hell......it is more expensive than a Harley Davidson motor and transmission, it doesn't seem right
Why should the public pay to upgrade your bathroom?

I agree with the Romex King, and would require it.

I don't think he would work in NJ?

I'm looking for the yellow ROMEX at first to get an idea how old but that change is going on 15-20 years now I think?

Can the Romex King chime in on that?;)