• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Beach Access Stairwell Lighting

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Would a set of stairs that lead from the open air pool area of a condo down to the beach be required to have lighting? It would not be a part of egress or a required stairwell.
I can't see where lighting would be required, especially since the beach is part of the lot of the condo itself.

Off the top of my head, the energy code comes to mind. Though it does not address the building's means of egress nor your question. Though with language in 2015 IECC C405.5, one has to wonder why the fuss over lighting going down to the ocean via a set of stairs.
Another thought and it is plausible, in VA beach they constructed several walk ways for accessibility purposes so disable individuals could use the beach in varying degrees and I believe the property was owned by the condo and provided an accessible path to the beach from the condo. Consider it amenities and a good place to go, if anything to provide ALL people the opportunity to get to the beach. On the other side of this, suppose the site arrival point was from the ocean side, like in ferry boat, cruise ship, etc... How would that work? It could apply if that was the only accessible point of entry to the condo? think fantasy island....

So I am aware of two code sections that require illumination of stairways...

1205.4 Stairway Illumination
Stairways within dwelling units and exterior stairways serving a dwelling unit shall have an illumination level on tread runs of not less than 1 footcandle (11 lux). Stairways in other occupancies shall be governed by Chapter 10.

and

1008.3.1 General
In the event of power supply failure in rooms and spaces that require two or more means of egress, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate all of the following areas:
  1. Aisles.
  2. Corridors.
  3. Exit access stairways and ramps.
If you consider these, neither would require illumination for an exterior stairway provided for site amenity pathways.