• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Beam End Connections

Chrimarl1265

Do beams have to be connected at ends?
Farmhouse built in 1871 - 2 x 6 floor joists - 10' span - house is 30 ft wide.
Fieldstone foundation - I want to lose some of the bounce as well as level floor joists. A beam at 5' (3 -1.75 x 7.25 lvl) supported by 3 columns with saddle plates.
No way to secure ends of beam to foundation and sitting below floor joists. Is that OK or does the beam have to be secured at ends?
I know I can sister but a beam is my preferred method.

If its not secured at the ends it becomes ... a cantilever beam. As long as you follow requirements for max cantilever distance you should be ok.

Must be Secured at the ends

R502.9 Fastening
Floor framing shall be nailed in accordance with Table R602.3(1). Where posts and beam or girder construction is used to support floor framing, positive connections shall be provided to ensure against uplift and lateral displacement.

Bolt a ledger to the foundation and butt the beam to it with a hanger. Block between the joist over the beam.

Mark ... that doesn’t require end connections, but it might be the easiest solution.

But ... since this beam is not required, he’s installing it to reduce deflection, does it have to meet all specs for required framing?

End connections should be provided to prevent lateral displacement of the beam, but they don't have to take any vertical load as long the cantilever distance beyond the last column meets code. I'd use a steel angle or bent plate bolted to the wall and the beam.

Remember that when IRC does not address the situation the applicant may avail himself of the IBC provisions. In such case he should consult with a civil or structural engineer.

We typically don't "fasten" our main beams here, they sit in a pocket in the foundation normally..If not I would require some anchorage but for an actual code section I would have to invoke the "God clause" as there is really nothing in the IRC...The LVL manufacturer will likely have something that says "Ends must be braced to prevent rotation" in their paperwork....

R301.1 Application. Buildings and structures, and parts
thereof, shall be constructed to safely support all loads,
including dead loads, live loads, roof loads, flood loads, snow
loads, wind loads and seismic loads as prescribed by this
code. The construction of buildings and structures in accordance
with the provisions of this code shall result in a system
that provides a complete load path that meets the requirements
for the transfer of loads from their point of origin
through the load-resisting elements to the foundation.