• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Beam size and Joist Size for New addition

This seems to be more complicated than I thought it would be.
We got approval from the plan reviewer for this framing previously. The issue is we didn't shown the size of the structure members correctly. We did not get any comment on the footing.
I am not so sure how to deal with this issue since everything has been in place.
Is your plan an engineered plan by a licensed engineer?

Hi,
No it's not. We drew it by ourselves as we figured residential plan did not require licensed engineer.
Well the plan reviewer might not be up to the task. However you should not pay any attention to me as I am from California. I have no clue as to what works in Virginia. I can say that here, 99 out of 100 decks would not qualify for an addition without a substantial retrofit. For that matter, I've never seen it done.

Hi,
No it's not. We drew it by ourselves as we figured residential plan did not require licensed engineer.
Well the plan reviewer might not be up to the task.
Looks like you got one past the plans examiner that should have been kicked back.

You can ride it out, but you are now in the know that what you have is non-compliant.

Looks like you got one past the plans examiner that should have been kicked back.

You can ride it out, but you are now in the know that what you have is non-compliant.
Thank you for your comment.
I am just afraid we won't pass the inspection.

Thank you for your comment.
I am just afraid we won't pass the inspection.
I wouldn't go so far as to say you know you are not code compliant. Some grumpy inspectors on the internet have questions, that's all. :D

It appears your floor framing is sufficient and should be a fairly stiff floor. Note that the concerns about bracing are coming from people on the west coast where seismic is a controlling concern. There is seismic in VA but not nearly as controlling as CA, OR & WA but you still have wind. There are many ways to resolve the lateral forces for the addition. The existing foundation on your house is taking all the lateral loads based on the drawings provided. The posts are only capable of supporting gravity loads and maybe helping a little with overturning. The floor diaphragm is transferring the lateral back to the house foundation.

In the State of Kansas, in single family residential an engineer cannot be required by a municipality by state law. Sections of the code that state that you need something to be designed by accepted engineering practice does not necessarily require a licensed engineer - anyone who knows how to do the calculations can do them, and if the numbers are credible to the AHJ, you should be fine.

What I'm saying is, just talk to the inspector and find out what they think. They may not be interested in pursuing it - the footing and post system you have may easily be strong enough for this application, depending on various factors. Just because an engineer hasn't looked at it yet does not mean that what you have is not compliant with this section.

Raised floor system post or pier foundations supporting braced wall panels shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice.

Edit: Every state is different, so your mileage may vary.

X-bracing between posts or knee braces should be adequate for seismic zone A and 115 MPH ultimate wind speed. (I'm guessing 22312 is Alexandria) Make sure the new 6x6 posts are preservative treated for ground contact. The bracing should also be treated.

Some grumpy inspectors on the internet have questions, that's all.
Not grumpy... just more knowledgeable than whoever approved these plans.
Note that the concerns about bracing are coming from people on the west coast where seismic is a controlling concern. There is seismic in VA but not nearly as controlling as CA, OR & WA but you still have wind.
Note that the sections I provided apply to bracing for wind. And yup, I am from WA, but in an area where wind controls (i.e. SDC C, 110mph).
Sections of the code that state that you need something to be designed by accepted engineering practice does not necessarily require a licensed engineer - anyone who knows how to do the calculations can do them, and if the numbers are credible to the AHJ, you should be fine.
Absolutely correct.

Not grumpy... just more knowledgeable than whoever approved these plans.
Maybe. You've seen two snippets, and you know absolutely nothing about the plan reviewer's capabilities. I am not concerned at all about this design. I have never seen a house blow over from design wind speeds. Amazing how millions of homes were built before the code required wall bracing and they're still standing.

Grumpy, Dopey, Doc, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy and Sleepy. Inspectors come in a variety of comportments. I didn't mean to scare anyone. I wasn't all that concerned about bracing in that I have not seen a full set of plans and like I said earlier, what do I know anyway. The "temporary" feature is the posts in the ground. Pressure treated is not sufficient. Soaked in creosote for a month would help.....and then I still wouldn't do it.

I'm with the redyedfly when it comes to bracing. We make houses so stiff that that jump off the foundation.

Last edited:
Grumpy, Dopey, Doc, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy and Sleepy. Inspectors come in a variety of comportments. I didn't mean to scare anyone. I wasn't all that concerned about bracing in that I have not seen a full set of plans and like I said earlier, what do I know anyway. The "temporary" feature is the posts in the ground. Pressure treated is not sufficient. Soaked in creosote for a month would help.....and then I still wouldn't do it.

I'm with the redyedfly when it comes to bracing. We make houses so stiff that that jump off the foundation.
Today I'm Sneezy and I too do not like burying wood posts. That said, I have seen 50 year old ground contact treated foundations with no signs of decay.

With red-eye on lateral bracing. Lived in two 100+ year old balloon framed houses with horizontal 1x12 sheathing, let in 1x4 bracing at the corners, and no headers above doors and windows; and both more plumb and level than house half their age. The IRC house is probably overbuilt, with the support of the homebuilders.

Thank you all for your responses and recommendation.
My plan has been approved.
Appreciate your help!