• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Behavioral Health & Accessibility

LGreene

Are behavioral health (psychiatric) facilities required to meet the requirements of the ADA design standards? Specifically, I need to know if a patient room door in a psyche unit is required to open with 5 pounds of force, maximum.

Seems like the answer is yes, no matter if the door is locked or not.

A few I see with no door at all.

There are no exceptions in the Ibc, not sure about 101

Agree that the "I use" stuff allows the locks and such, but nothing on exempting accessibility...not sure that you could call it an employee work area...

Fire life safety of many should over ride accessibility requirements of the few.

There needs to be give and take on both items so the life safety of all are considered in various events that can happen, fire, seismic, wind, etc.

[A] 104.10 Modifications.

Wherever there are practical difficulties involved in carrying out the provisions of this code, the building official shall have the authority to grant modifications for individual cases, upon application of the owner or owner’s representative, provided the building official shall first find that special individual reason makes the strict letter of this code impractical and the modification is in compliance with the intent and purpose of this code and that such modification does not lessen health, accessibility, life and fire safety, or structural requirements. The details of action granting modifications shall be recorded and entered in the files of the department of building safety.