• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bilco doors as emergency escape opening in basement

rjc114

2009 IRC. Basement all below grade. I've read R310.1 through R310.3 a couple times and I'm still not sure if a Bilco door complies, especially with R310.1.4 (Operational constraints). I guess as long as the door is never secured with a lock it would comply. All replies welcome.

welcom, welcome, welcome,

how did you find us???

do you mind stating what you do???

Does it meet this::::

Bars, grills, covers and screens. Bars, grills, covers,

screens or similar devices are permitted to be placed over emer-

gency escape and rescue openings, bulkhead enclosures, or

windowwells that serve such openings, provided the minimum

net clear opening size complies with Sections R310.1.1 to

R310.1.3, and such devices shall be releasable or removable

from the inside without the use of a key, tool or force greater

than that which is required for normal operation of the escape

and rescue opening.

most of the bilcos are easy to open, unless you call it special knowledge

I've been on here for years. Building Code Official in Western PA. Just never had anyone want to use a Bilco for the only basement emergency escape opening.

Architect1281 said:
Meets the spirit until its locked from the outside

With a Bilco basement door lock, a simple turn of the key opens the door from the outside, providing convenient access to basement storage areas, workshops, playrooms and utility rooms. From the inside, pushing the handy release lever automatically unlocks the door. To lock the door from the inside, simply push the slide bar into position. The lock kit is designed for homeowner installation and is supplied with a template & complete instructions for quick, easy installation.

I think it is okay