• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boat Repair Building

Scott F

We have been approached with a potential opportunity to produce permit documents for a new 203’ x 50’ metal building structure intended for boat repairs. However, we lack experience with this type of building use. I have a few questions on which I would like your feedback. A preliminary plan is attached for reference.

1.) What type of occupancy classification does the building have?

2.) Does the building need to be sprinklered?

3.) The owner has requested restrooms and showers exclusively for the workers/mechanics. Do any of these need to be ADA compliant?

4.) The owner has requested the creation of four work areas using interior walls. Do these walls need to be rated?

I understand these questions may prompt further inquiries, but any feedback is appreciated.

1707152009851.png

Attachments

• Plan A1 Floor Plan (1).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
If this were for autos, trucks or motorcycles Section 406 would apply. Is a boat repair garage so similar as to fit within Section 406? Are there any regulatory agencies that consider a motorized boat to be a vehicle?

SECTION 406 MOTOR-VEHICLE-RELATED OCCUPANCIES
406.1 General. All motor-vehicle-related occupancies shall comply with Section 406.2.

Ice is right. I looked it up one time. Dictionary says a boat is a vehicle that goes on the water. The boat gas engines similar to car and truck engines so I would think it would be S1 and section 406.

If this were for autos, trucks or motorcycles Section 406 would apply. Is a boat repair garage so similar as to fit within Section 406? Are there any regulatory agencies that consider a motorized boat to be a vehicle?

SECTION 406 MOTOR-VEHICLE-RELATED OCCUPANCIES
406.1 General. All motor-vehicle-related occupancies shall comply with Section 406.2.

The difference is that boats are mostly made of wood (but increasingly few) or fiberglass. And boat repairs are more often about repairing the hulls than they are about tuning up the engine or servicing the brakes or muffler. Despite it being a "repair" facility, I would consider the materials used and the processes to be more akin to fabrication than S-1 motor vehicle repair.

That said, aircraft repair is also classified as S-1, so I can see an argument for putting boat repair into S-1.

The difference is that boats are mostly made of wood (but increasingly few) or fiberglass. And boat repairs are more often about repairing the hulls than they are about tuning up the engine or servicing the brakes or muffler. Despite it being a "repair" facility, I would consider the materials used and the processes to be more akin to fabrication than S-1 motor vehicle repair.

That said, aircraft repair is also classified as S-1, so I can see an argument for putting boat repair into S-1.
Fiberglass and aluminum are the prevalent hull material. The typical work done on a boat is servicing the motor(s). Having owned boats, a Union 76 service station and been an aircraft mechanic I can state that boat shops are close to auto repair with the exception of the quantities of fuel onboard.

Aircraft repair is lumped in with aircraft storage as a S1 to accommodate the fact that planes are quite often serviced where they are located in a hanger. The operation is also nearly sterile compared to auto and boat repair. However, the facility that I worked at as an aircraft mechanic was devoted strictly to the repair and painting of planes. As such, S1 seems wrong.

Fiberglass and aluminum are the prevalent hull material. The typical work done on a boat is servicing the motor(s). Having owned boats, a Union 76 service station and been an aircraft mechanic I can state that boat shops are close to auto repair with the exception of the quantities of fuel onboard.

I guess boat repair shops in California are different from boat yards in Maine.

I agree with RLGA that the occupancy classification is F1. I also think that Section 406 applies and 406.8.3 requires sprinklers.

and 406.8.3 requires sprinklers.
Only if it exceeds the threshold listed in

[F] 903.2.9.1 Repair garages.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided throughout all buildings used as repair garages in accordance with Section 406, as shown:

1. Buildings having two or more stories above grade plane, including basements, with a fire area containing a repair garage exceeding 10,000 square feet (929 m2).

2. Buildings not more than one story above grade plane, with a fire area containing a repair garage exceeding 12,000 square feet (1115 m2).

3. Buildings with repair garages servicing vehicles parked in basements.

4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the repair of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).

Reactions: ICE
4. A Group S-1 fire area used for the repair of commercial motor vehicles where the fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
Now the occupancy classification could make the difference. No matter what happens here, the use is most likely, not for commercial vehicles so the sprinklers are out.

Last edited: