• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boat storage in house

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
2018 IRC New house by a lake. Plans indicates a boat storage room in a walk out basement. Does not say if they are motorized or not. Would this be considered a garage? If I ask Wikipedia if a boat is a vehicle, it says it's a vehicle that travels on water. IRC does not say anything about vehicles, only garages. No definition of garage in the IRC. Makes me think that they could keep a car in a home without the required protected walls if they do not call it a garage. But I found other definitions elsewhere that say a garage is for storing vehicles.

Would this boat storage room be considered a garage and need protected walls and ceiling?

The municipality I worked for had rivers on three sides. We did a lot of boat garages. We always treated them like a garage, like you are suggesting. Only exception was the very small ones that only fit canoes or kayaks.

This has always been a troubling question because of all the different uses:

If it had a 5'-0" wide double door with removable T-astragal would it be okay without meeting the term boat garage?

If it had a 9x7 garage door is it a boat or car garage?

Is it a garage or is it just storage?

Can I get a plastic boat, kayak, canoe or motorcycle through a 3ft door, would that be storage or a garage?

Can I have a garage door on my house? Cuz I want one?

Can I park a car in it?

Does a driveway have anything to do with a classifying it a garage?

IRC
[MP] HAZARDOUS LOCATION. Any location considered to be a fire hazard for flammable vapors, dust, combustible fibers or other highly combustible substances.

IRC Fuel Gas Chapter

HAZARDOUS LOCATION. Any location considered to be a fire hazard for flammable vapors, dust, combustible fibers or other highly combustible substances. The location is not necessarily categorized in the International Building Code as a high-hazard use group classification.

So... if you have a garage door installed could you make the case that its not a garage and move on allowing it?

Our interpretation if it has a garage door and access to grade it is a garage, that includes sheds, rooms under houses, single pitch shed additions. if it has a pair of 3 foot doors it is not a garage.

Strait simple and to the point and I am stickling to it.

Plans indicates a boat storage room in a walk out basement. ... Would this be considered a garage?
Yes, it is likely a garage.

The hazard (significant quantities of stored combustibles) is present, along with the decreased observance and connectivity (non-habitable area) with the remainder of the home.

Our interpretation if it has a garage door and access to grade it is a garage, that includes sheds, rooms under houses, single pitch shed additions. if it has a pair of 3 foot doors it is not a garage.
I appreciate where @TheCommish is going with the above and generally agree, although it's not a perfect definition.

2018 IRC New house by a lake. Plans indicates a boat storage room in a walk out basement. Does not say if they are motorized or not. Would this be considered a garage? If I ask Wikipedia if a boat is a vehicle, it says it's a vehicle that travels on water. IRC does not say anything about vehicles, only garages. No definition of garage in the IRC. Makes me think that they could keep a car in a home without the required protected walls if they do not call it a garage. But I found other definitions elsewhere that say a garage is for storing vehicles.

Would this boat storage room be considered a garage and need protected walls and ceiling?
Rick,

Simplify the review, call it out for the protection of a "Boat Garage" for the fire protection and then let them respond to the request.

If they give you an answer you believe and you can live with ,then move on, if not, push the issue.

Why waste your time deciding if you should call it out or not, just do it and roll the dice, if you are questioning it, should be vetted IMO.

Cheers

Rick,

Simplify the review, call it out for the protection of a "Boat Garage" for the fire protection and then let them respond to the request.

If they give you an answer you believe and you can live with ,then move on, if not, push the issue.

Why waste your time deciding if you should call it out or not, just do it and roll the dice, if you are questioning it, should be vetted IMO.

Cheers
I work this way for the most part. If nothing else, it starts a discussion where more information can be provided.