• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boiler Flue Location

cballinger

Bronze Member
2012 codes - I'm not sure if this is an IMC or IFGC issue (or maybe both?). What section specifies distance from roof edge/parapets or property lines for boiler flues?

IFGC 2012

503.5.4 Chimney termination.
Chimneys for residential-type or low-heat appliances shall extend at least 3 feet (914 mm) above the highest point where they pass through a roof of a building and at least 2 feet (610 mm) higher than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 feet (3048 mm). Chimneys for medium-heat appliances shall extend at least 10 feet (3048 mm) higher than any portion of any building within 25 feet (7620 mm). Chimneys shall extend at least 5 feet (1524 mm) above the highest connected appliance draft hood outlet or flue collar. Decorative shrouds shall not be installed at the termination of factory-built chimneys except where such shrouds are listed and labeled for use with the specific factory-built chimney system and are installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

~ : ~ : ~

From the `12 IMC, Section 804:

Here's a Link to the IMC:
http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/PDF/2012%20International%20Codes/IMC/Chapter%208-Chimneys%20and%20Vents.pdf

View attachment 2428

My Snippet Tool could only capture the Code Section in this size.

~ : ~ : ~

Sorry I'm late getting back to this conversation. I took the weekend off for once. :)

So does Section 501.3.1 apply here also? Or does that only apply if there is a powered exhaust fan on the roof? :confused: I was trying to determine if the boiler flues need to be 10 feet from the property line or if they are ok just being 4 feet from the parapets.

$ ~ $

cballinger,

IMO, ...Yes, Section 501.3.1 [ from the `12 IMC ] DOES apply.
Also, ...this particular code section requires a minimum of 30
feet distance from a property line.

REASON: There are flammable vapors being discharged to the
atmosphere when \ if the boiler does not ignite during it's
normal cycle, and the re-attempt to ignite will purge all of
the gases from the ignition chamber.

$ ~ $

$ ~ $

cballinger,

IMO, ...Yes, Section 501.3.1 [ from the `12 IMC ] DOES apply.
Also, ...this particular code section requires a minimum of 30
feet distance from a property line.

REASON: There are flammable vapors being discharged to the
atmosphere when \ if the boiler does not ignite during it's
normal cycle, and the re-attempt to ignite will purge all of
the gases from the ignition chamber.

$ ~ $

That seems excessive. I would typically apply that to hazardous exhaust systems, which are usually in buildings with a setback anyway. So you can never have a boiler system in a building on a narrow lot?

$ ~ $ ~ $

Section 501.3.1 DOES state " or flammable vapors,
fumes or dust".

$ ~ $ ~ $