• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Bonding gas appliances

fireguy

Gold Member
I am about to do an estimate on connecting propane appliances to the gas supply line. The gas piping and shut off valves will already installed. The specifieing engineer told me a special "ground union" needs to installed between the appliance and the gas hose. I was also told the appliances need to be bonded to the gas piping.

I thought all unions were "ground unions" unless an o'ring was used to seal the joint. Am I right or wrong? And I did google "ground unions', but since I found the instructions for cleaning fire sprinkler heads, I tend not to believe everything I find on-line. Unless it is bad things about politicians, I believe all bad things about politicians.

The gas supply hoses will meet ANSI Z21.69. I did not find any specs or mention of bonding gas hoses or appliances, at least in my 2010 copy of the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code C411.

International Fuel Gas 2009 code section 301

SECTION 310 (IFGS)

ELECTRICAL BONDING

310.1 Pipe and tubing other than CSST. Each above-ground

portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless

steel tubing (CSST) that is likely to become energized shall be

electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault

current path. Gas piping other than CSST shall be considered to

be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected

to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit

supplying that appliance.

serving gas piping ( behind the meter and into the dwelling) or building needs to be bonded to the service as well. refer to 250.104 (A), and (B), 2008 NEC.

fireguy said:
I am about to do an estimate on connecting propane appliances to the gas supply line. The gas piping and shut off valves will already installed. The specifieing engineer told me a special "ground union" needs to installed between the appliance and the gas hose. I was also told the appliances need to be bonded to the gas piping. I thought all unions were "ground unions" unless an o'ring was used to seal the joint. Am I right or wrong? And I did google "ground unions', but since I found the instructions for cleaning fire sprinkler heads, I tend not to believe everything I find on-line. Unless it is bad things about politicians, I believe all bad things about politicians.

The gas supply hoses will meet ANSI Z21.69. I did not find any specs or mention of bonding gas hoses or appliances, at least in my 2010 copy of the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code C411.
Since you have mentioned "gas supply hoses" and ANSI Z21.69 we can assume this is a commercial kitchen. The hoses come with a quick disconnect to separate from the appliance. A ground joint union is a metal to metal union and would serve no purpose. Bonding of the equipment is considered accomplished when the appliance is bonded to the ground conductor as stated in IFGC 310 Section 411.1.1 is the section for Commercial Cooking Appliances. I do not think NFPA 58 is any different.

Thank you for the responses. I do not do as much gas as in the past. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track of the code changes. And yes, this is a commercial job. I do not do residential work of any kind.

ps. make sure to test them (lines) prior to hooking up the appliances. from the meter to all appliance locations. a friend of mine was killed in house explosion over the weekend in Vermont. propane. splintered the building. tragic to say the least. best not to test against valves. dead head the lines first. test at 1- 1/2 times the working pressure, not less than 3 psig, refer to IFGC 2006, section 406 for all the specifics,