• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boxed in soil pipe compartmentation

Rogerwest

I am currently working on a property that has bathroom soil pipe running through 3 floors, which is boxed in.
There is evidence that the compartmentation between floors is minimal.
If the compartmentation is required to be upgraded within the enclosure, then the tiles need replaced, and as they are old properties the whole of the bathroom tiles would need renewed. There is a few properties that fall into this category.
what are the thoughts on this

My 1st question would be what is the reason that the compartmentalization needs to be upgraded? You may be able to find other ways to upgrade it without having to tear the tile off.

Reactions: ICE
My 1st question would be what is the reason that the compartmentalization needs to be upgraded? You may be able to find other ways to upgrade it without having to tear the tile off.
Exactly. Why tear into the walls?

There is spaces around the soil pipe, which could allow travel of fire. There are also bedrooms next door adjoining.

So you’re assuming that the penetration through the floor needs to be sealed better? What about adding a layer to the shaft wall. That might require new tile finish on the wall, but that could be done in a complementary color.

There is spaces around the soil pipe, which could allow travel of fire. There are also bedrooms next door adjoining.
How you know there are spaces around the soil pipe? Borescope? If you have been able to see into that area you can probably install barriers of some type without deconstructing the entire compartment.

Reactions: ICE