• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Boy Scout Hall Remodel

Alias

Local Rotary group is rehabbing an existing scout hall. Original use was a SFR, house was donated to scouts and converted to a meeting hall.

The building was looking pretty shabby so, this is going to be a great project. I was consulted by a Rotarian about the windows, which are now all boarded up. Rotarian wanted to know about windows - required? how many? etc. There are a total of 12 boarded up windows, we agreed on keeping 8, including the one in the bathroom and the one in the kitchen. The reason for the consult is that the Scoutmaster wants to reside over everything, including boarded up windows. No, not going to happen on my watch. Windows will have openable protective screens on inside of windows to prevent a ball, etc. from going through the window.

Your opinion, please...........okay or, it not, section/book please.

Also being added is a ramp at the back door to meet ADA (as much as possible in a 50 + year old building).

Will they be sleeping there??

If not are the windows required by code for ventalation or other????

$ $ $ $

Are you asking about the windows only, or about the other components

of this "Meeting Hall"?

$ $ $ $

north star said:
$ $ $ $Are you asking about the windows only, or about the other components

of this "Meeting Hall"?

$ $ $ $
Windows, even though existing openings are 'non-compliant'. There are no ventilation fans, air conditioner, or swamp cooler in the hall or in the bathroom or kitchen areas. My take is that windows are required for ventilation and natural light.

cda said:
Will they be sleeping there??If not are the windows required by code for ventalation or other????
No sleepovers as far as I know. I know windows or fans are required in the kitchen and the bathroom for ventilation. There is no plan (or money) for the addition of mechanical ventilation. Scope of work includes adding insulation to ceiling, possibly underfloor, and residing the building.

Sue, Look at CRC 303 & 303.3 The new code took out the requirement for bath exhaust, but energy code requires mech. exhaust.

Hope that helps.

David

Yeah, I'm sure a 50 year old house will support the 100 psf required.

Heck, I'm betting they'll **** a brick just over providing that for the ramp.

In otherwords, they don't have the money to change the occupancy.

brudgers said:
Yeah, I'm sure a 50 year old house will support the 100 psf required.Heck, I'm betting they'll **** a brick just over providing that for the ramp.

In otherwords, they don't have the money to change the occupancy.
Rotary has deemed the scouts the recipients of their fundraiser this year. They are very successful in their fundraising........ Ramp will be put in because a) there are no back steps, and b) Rotary wants it and is paying for it, period.

The back door is kept locked currently because of the fact there are no steps and it is about a 3' drop to the ground. This means inadequate exiting.

Rotary may be able to pay for it, but seeing as how you haven't even met with the architect (there is an architect over-seeing all the life safety issues, right?), it seems questionable that they have a clear idea of the issues and costs involved in converting a 50 year old dwelling into an assembly use, e.g. a primary worry about the windows rather than structural adequacy.

I'm not saying it can't be done - just that lay people generally are overly optimistic about converting dwellings for a different occupancy.

brudgers said:
Rotary may be able to pay for it, but seeing as how you haven't even met with the architect (there is an architect over-seeing all the life safety issues, right?), it seems questionable that they have a clear idea of the issues and costs involved in converting a 50 year old dwelling into an assembly use, e.g. a primary worry about the windows rather than structural adequacy.I'm not saying it can't be done - just that lay people generally are overly optimistic about converting dwellings for a different occupancy.
No conversion, it has been the scout hall now for at least 15 years that I know of. It was converted a long, long time ago, probably before anyone in the city/county began enforcing any building code. No architect involved, possibly one of the local designers if anyone.