• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Braced wall panels in a sunroom

ICE said:
You have a room with a bunch of windows and a Simpson Strong Wall might solve your problem.When I hear sunroom, I think of this http://www.southerncaliforniarooms.com/sunrooms.html

Most have an ICC ES Report
When I have seen these type of systems before they have usually been an engineered system or had an ES report. The problem here is nobody has ever required those specs and I show up asking for them and you would think I just killed their dog. In this case its just a stick built addition so I am trying to work out the walls straight out of the code, without reducing the windows. I think I have it now. I'll give him the option between the code method I have or an RDP.

From Deck Builders Mag . . .

PostFraming.jpg

Francis

Looks more like a portal frame than alternate braced panels, based on visual, but a portal frame could work.

You did not provide details on the width of the wood panels, although if the dimension are right it appears they are >4' on each end. That is based on an overall width of 18', deduct (3) 2'5" wide windows, assume even 6" between windows and that would stillleave a 5' panel on each end. What are they proposing for bracing panel on the two ends?