• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Brain Tease: Power (Wattage or VA) for a 3 phase motor

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Lets assume 3phase squirrel cage induction type wound motor.

15HP 3ph 460vac

What is the VoltAmps of this motor?

What size Cu conductors will you need to run to this motor?

Hint, you will have to look up FLC.

jar546 said:
Lets assume 3phase squirrel cage induction type wound motor.15HP 3ph 460vac

What is the VoltAmps of this motor?
Just using T430.250 I get 17,430. If you gave PF and %EFF I would get a more realistic number.

What size Cu conductors will you need to run to this motor?Hint, you will have to look up FLC.
Assuming continuous duty, 21A×1.25=26.25A or #10cu.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to hash this one out then.

From the FLC table I got 21

460x21x1.732=16,731

Using the label of 460, I have 36.37A

How did we differ?

jar546 said:
We need to hash this one out then.From the FLC table I got 21

460x21x1.732=16,731

Using the label of 460, I have 36.37A

How did we differ?
I used the real world voltage the 460 motor will run at. 21×830=17,430.

Holy crap, I realized what I did.

1st, I took the wattage and divided it by the voltage of 460 which gave me 36.37

Verifying, I took the 21 FLC and multiplied it by 1.732 for 3ph which gave me 36.37

I see where you added the 1.25 for the motor and I did not. Now I am coming up with the exact 26.25A

Now, for branch circuit protection, I would go with 60A (52 real answer) but I know a 50 would work

jar546 said:
I stand by my VA calculation though.
Yeah, I'm going to have to give you that one Jeff. Looking at some example calcs in Ugly's now and they also use the name-plate voltage.

I stand corrected.

jar546 said:
We are taught to use the nameplate voltage but I personally use the actual voltage when accuracy counts
Force of habit for me, although if this exercise had been a real test question, I as you say "read to much into it". FAIL!

Is the contractor section where yall come to ask the REALLY hard questions?? My contractor's can't even read their own plans!