• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BRAIN TEASER: Piping In A Foundation

globe trekker

On a Commercial Project, the mech. contractor has deviated from the approved plans

somewhat. Instead of installing the potable water piping underneath the foundation

and up through an opening in the interior of the slab, they have installed the

1 1/2" water supply line through the exterior foundation wall.

QUESTION # 1: Is this an approved installation? Can they do this? If they can,

how can they? If they can't, why not?

IPC 305 would allow it, as long as the pipe is at least 6" below the frost line, and sleeved where it penetrates the foundation.

High Desert,

That's what I was initially looking for. I actually told a contarctor that last week,

...that he would have to install a "relieving arch" in the exterior footing. You'd

have thought I was speaking Latin to him, ya know, that "deer in the headlights"

look. :eek:

Darren Emery said:
How about the whole "deviated from the approved plans" thing? Do you require approval of the change by the DP?
Good question to globe trekker. If you are there after the fact you are too late to require anything other then the engineer to approve the install. If you are there before the pour and they want to change where's the engineer's approval?

As to

Can they do this?
I guess they did.

I've gotten the same thing with the relieving arch question lately.......and yes....here if it is a change that can affect the structure it would require DP signoff...