• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Branch Circuit to Detached Garage

Let me now kill the dead horse.

225.32 Exception No. 3 applies to poles used as lighting standards. Light poles are typically only fed with a single branch circuit. This is no different than a detached garage with a single circuit. The difference is that the code goes out of its way to provide an exception for light poles because it is obvious that the way the code is written requires a means of disconnect no matter how many branch circuits there are. The code does not go out of its way to exempt a detached garage. It is required but you have chosen to selectively enforce the code.

I am not an electrician but I am reading 230.3 (NEC 2011) as it cannot run through the house then go to the Detached garage. Is this a correct assumption? I am asking for separate means of disconnect because the garage has its own panel inside and the can is an old school round 100 amp no breaker outside. but the contractor "has been doing this for 30yrs. and has never been told to provide a separate means of disconnect for a detached garage" wants to wire it through a breaker in the home. don't remember how many curcuits the garage had but the was over 4 breakers in the panel. I feel at the least this is a problem because of access to the inside panel in case of an emergency.
An advise is appreciated.
Thanks

2014 NEC has an exception for the GE for single circuit accessory structures....?...No? change in 17?....I'm with MT in that it is not clear enough to make me not allow Ex. 1 225.32