• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Breadboards ILO Workspace CBC 1134.A Countertops Exception - How Do Breadboards Actually Work?

Ichbinjen

How do breadboards actually work?

What I’ve typically seen is the two 15” boards provided as built-ins in two separate lower cabinets, and they slide fully out (to be used on someone’s lap?).

Are there other configurations?

Can the two boards be built into the same cabinet, stacked?

Do the boards have to be built in, or could two 15” breadboards simply be provided on a shelf in a cabinet?

The code isn’t clear but looking for any examples you’ve used or seen! TIA.

1133A.4 Countertops.

Kitchen countertops shall comply with this section and shall be provided with the following:

A minimum linear length of 30 inches (762 mm) of countertop shall be provided for the kitchen sink installation.

1. A minimum linear length of 30 inches (762 mm) of countertop shall be provided for a work surface.
  2. Sinks and work surfaces may be a single integral unit a minimum of 60 inches (1524 mm) in length, or be separate components.
Exception: Two 15-inch (381 mm) wide minimum breadboards may be provided in lieu of the required 30 inches (762 mm) of countertop work surface.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

The goal is to get (2) 15" breadboards to provide the same effective width as a 30" worksurface.
It is not stated, but it can be reasonably inferred by its consideration as a substitution, that the intent is to be able to roll a wheelchair underneath the breadboards. With this in mind:

What I’ve typically seen is the two 15” boards provided as built-ins in two separate lower cabinets, and they slide fully out (to be used on someone’s lap?).
See comment about rolling underneath them. I would not anticipate that (2) 15" breadboards on a lap would be helpful. Most breadboards I've seen pull out (partially) from the cabinet, just below the countertop but above the drawers, like this:

1698084931801.png

I'm old enough to remember when these were commonly found in many American kitchens. with the advent of European IKEA-style ready-to-assemble cabinets, they are not as common, and you may not be familiar with this kind of breadboard.

Are there other configurations?
Yes, I've see a version where the breadboard sits inside and atop the highest drawer, and can be lifted out if you want to access the contents of the drawer.; this works as long at there's enough knee space below (typically min. 27" AFF.). Sorry I couldn't find an exact picture, but it's similar to this bread cover:
1698085249412.png
Can the two boards be built into the same cabinet, stacked?
I don't think that would meet the design intent of being able to use both at the same time, especially if you are trying to get knee space underneath.
Do the boards have to be built in, or could two 15” breadboards simply be provided on a shelf in a cabinet?
The building codes mainly deal with built-in items - - so no, the intent of "breadboard" is something built-in.
The code isn’t clear but looking for any examples you’ve used or seen! TIA.
Yes, instead of breadboards, I've seen a 30" wide fold-down table provided on a blank wall elsewhere in the kitchen. This meets the definition of countertop "work surface".

1698085850607.png