• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Break Room appliances/counter height vs ADA

brudgers said:
705.2.2 Exception 3
What code?

International Mechanical Code?

COMBUSTION AIR SECTION 705

COMBINED USE OF INDOOR AND OUTDOOR AIR

Are you refering to 507.2.2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this forum gotten to be a place that 2 people argue about things and they go so far outside the question that nobody cares? Lets keep to the question and get them an answer. Keep it simple and stick to the topic. As soon as you introduced church everything out the window!

Are reach ranges an issue? Yes. Is it a kitchenette? Yes. Some issues are exempt if you do not have a range/oven, but you do. Are reach ranges and Issue? Yes. Are work surfaces and counter heights an issue? Yes. See below.

I agree that the kitchenette is not a employee work area. Many designers throw that at me. It is not their desk or work station. Every situation can be different on the hood issue. I agree with many others no commercial cooking so no type 1 hood. You have a residential range/oven, so a type 2 hood may be required.

Work surfaces and counter heights will be an issue. The big issue is the sink. You need 34" to top of sink. If they dont do the whole counter at 34" for the sink, then they need 2 different heights. 36" for the work surface and 34" for the sink. Hope this helps. Have a great day from the northland.

fargocodes said:
Has this forum gotten to be a place that 2 people argue about things and they go so far outside the question that nobody cares?
No, its always been that way. ;)

Welcome to the forum.