• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Break Room" Occupancy Load Factor

DTBarch

SAWHORSE
For the purposes of determining egress requirements, is there an IBC code-defined description/limit of when an office "break room" ceases to be calculated with the "business area" load factor and is subject to the "unconcentrated" assembly area load factor? Some cities like the City of Boise have taken it upon themselves to establish official policy to assign size categories with 400sf or less, 401 to 749sf, and 750 and above with load factors of 100, 15, and "varied" respectively. I've personally seen it interpreted to each end of the spectrum depending upon which AHJ is involved. Curious to find out if I'm missing a direct link somewhere. I'm sure my reliable pool of inspectors and plan reviewers in this forum can edify me here. Thank you.

I have always called it a non-separated assembly use as long as it was under 750 sqft. I used the assembly load factor to count occupants. That was how the Fire Marshal and I did it when I worked in Georgia per state requirements. That kept it under 50 occupants and could be classified as business for other code purposes.

pyrguy said:
I have always called it a non-separated assembly use as long as it was under 750 sqft. I used the assembly load factor to count occupants. That was how the Fire Marshal and I did it when I worked in Georgia per state requirements. That kept it under 50 occupants and could be classified as business for other code purposes.
Just be aware that the 750 square foot exception for occupancy separation of group A from B was removed from the 2009 IBC. All hail the infinite wisdom of the IBC.

that sounds good as above two posts, because I am seen two seater breakrooms, and seating for a bunch of people breakrooms

brudgers said:
Just be aware that the 750 square foot exception for occupancy separation of group A from B was removed from the 2009 IBC. All hail the infinite wisdom of the IBC.
Not

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/ibc/2009/icod_ibc_2009_3_sec003.htm

2009 International Building Code

SECTION 303 ASSEMBLY GROUP A

303.1 Assembly Group A.

Exceptions:

3. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

2009 IBC

303.1 Assembly Group A.

Assembly Group A occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, for the gathering of persons for purposes such as civic, social or religious functions; recreation, food or drink consumption or awaiting transportation.

Exceptions:

1. A building or tenant space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons shall be classified as a Group B occupancy.

2. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

3. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

4. Assembly areas that are accessory to Group E occupancies are not considered separate occupancies except when applying the assembly occupancy requirements of Chapter 11.

5. Accessory religious educational rooms and religious auditoriums with occupant loads of less than 100 are not considered separate occupancies.

2012 IBC

303.1.2 Small assembly spaces.

The following rooms and spaces shall not be classified as Assembly occupancies:1. A room or space used for assembly purposes with an occupant load of less than 50 persons and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.2. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.

Sounds like Log Cabin and Mr. Handler are the winners this morning. I appreciate the actual code trail gentlemen.

Codegeek said:
I'm with Fatboy and High Desert, 15 square feet per person.
:agreeThey are absolutely correct. TABLE 1004.1.1 does not care what the use group is when determining the design occupant load for a space. You can say B or A or M doesn't matter.

Read the column heading of table 1004.1.1 it says "FUNCTION OF SPACE" not use group, but function. The function of a break room is to eat drink and assemble at unconcentrated tables and chairs.

:cool:

gbhammer said:
The function of a break room is to eat drink and assemble at unconcentrated tables and chairs.

:cool:
You know some break rooms have a full kitchen and then you could argue that the function of that net square footage (for just the kitchen area) could be calculated at 200/per 1 occ. ;)

gbhammer,

Where in the codes does it say that a Break Room is for eating / drinking? :devil

globe trekker said:
gbhammer,Where in the codes does it say that a Break Room is for eating / drinking? :devil

Good Point GT.:inspctr Function is subjective and that is why I will some times ask the owner for a commentary on what a room will be utilized for.

Years ago I worked on the Marshal Faulk Foundation and his break room had a pool table a couple of video games and soda machine full of beer. There was only room for about 6 people in the whole space, and that would have put a cramp on the pool players. A plan reviewer would never have known that the space would be filled with all that stuff, if it had not been on the plans.

mtlogcabin said:
2009 IBC 3. A room or space used for assembly purposes that is less than 750 square feet (70 m2) in area and accessory to another occupancy shall be classified as a Group B occupancy or as part of that occupancy.
Damn - They moved it on me. Used to be at 508.3.1 As an accessory occupancy (which of course how 2009 classifies it). IBC loves change for change sake.

brudgers said:
Damn - They moved it on me. Used to be at 508.3.1 As an accessory occupancy (which of course how 2009 classifies it). IBC loves change for change sake.
That's how they make money

A break room should be counted at one occupant per 15 SF for exits from the room, but at the normal factor for overall building exits & toilets. Unless the break room serves more than one building, or occupants who work outside, you aren't bringing additional people into the building to use the break room, just moving them around within the building.

depends on how it is set up--

If it has tables and chairs as an eating area the tables and chairs area is figured at 15 sq ft per person for that area and total building occupant load--the same as conference rooms.

If it is just an area with fridge counter sink microwave coffee maker etc but no seating then it is figured at the 100 sq ft per person

Paul Sweet said:
A break room should be counted at one occupant per 15 SF for exits from the room, but at the normal factor for overall building exits & toilets. Unless the break room serves more than one building, or occupants who work outside, you aren't bringing additional people into the building to use the break room, just moving them around within the building.
I agree in theory that the space is for the most part going to have nonsimultaneous occupancy. The problem is that the code is very clear on occupancy and plumbing fixtures, the occupants all count and the highest figure must be used. The only time that the actual occupant load can be used over the design occupant load is when the actual load exceeds the design occupant load.

2009 IPC commentary says “The code does not recognize a nonsimultaneous use concept for any building, as simultaneous use can easily occur.” :devil

Frank said:
depends on how it is set up--If it has tables and chairs as an eating area the tables and chairs area is figured at 15 sq ft per person for that area and total building occupant load--the same as conference rooms.

If it is just an area with fridge counter sink microwave coffee maker etc but no seating then it is figured at the 100 sq ft per person
If the function of the space is to prepare food then 1@200 sq. ft.

"If the function of the space is to prepare food then 1@200 sq. ft."

I'm having trouble putting the commercial O.L. in any space in a office break room. Just did a final on a large office space for a factory, 12 microwaves in a space maybe as large as a residential kitchen, six each side in a bank, split by a two bowl sink. How many do you suppose are going to occupy that space during lunch? Just sayin.........

fatboy said:
"If the function of the space is to prepare food then 1@200 sq. ft."I'm having trouble putting the commercial O.L. in any space in a office break room. Just did a final on a large office space for a factory, 12 microwaves in a space maybe as large as a residential kitchen, six each side in a bank, split by a two bowl sink. How many do you suppose are going to occupy that space during lunch? Just sayin.........
That is not a kitchen where some one is preparing food (in my kitchen (120 sq. ft.) at home I need all the space around me to cook, if the wife gets in the way which is her want to do, then I start to get a bit grumpy which (my bad) is my want to do).

The place you've described has the classic break room function of stack'em and pack'em.