• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Breaker locks

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
I'm looking for the requirement that breakers for F/A power require locks. Just looked in the 09 IFC, maybe in NFPA 72???

Thanks

Nothing requiring human protection of disconnection means in 72 or A-760

Only thing in 2010 72 is:

For fire alarm systems the circuit disconnecting means shall have a red marking.

The circuit disconnecting means shall be accessible only to authorized personnel.

10.5.5.3 Mechanical Protection.

The dedicated branch circuit(s) and connections shall be protected against physical damage.

NFPA 72, 2002 [4.4.1.4.2] Similar

NFPA 72, 1999 [1.5.2.5.2] Similar

NFPA 72, 1993 [Nothing]

Maybe some interpret “authorized personnel or mechanical protection” to include adding a breaker lock? The lock can’t alter over current protection of course.

The state of Florida is still on the 2002 NFPA 72, so the Section 4.4.1.4.2 reference would be correct. The intent of the mechanical protection is to prevent tampering of the branch circuit disconnecting means and to avoid unintentional opening of the device. This is why the red markings, the "FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT" identification, and the breaker locks.

Keep in mind we are talking about one of these locks (switch locks) and not those utilized to "lock-out" the breaker...

url

Bryan Holland said:
The state of Florida is still on the 2002 NFPA 72, so the Section 4.4.1.4.2 reference would be correct. The intent of the mechanical protection is to prevent tampering of the branch circuit disconnecting means and to avoid unintentional opening of the device. This is why the red markings, the "FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT" identification, and the breaker locks.
Thank you sir.

Keep in mind we are talking about one of these locks (switch locks) and not those utilized to "lock-out" the breaker...
Understood, this is one I prepared today for the job in question. Note the nice, neat paint job. Many moons ago I got tired of the F/A guys gumming up the handles and covering the amp rating with their wife's red nail polish, so I make my own.
DSCN2047.jpg

Can you just mark next to the breaker using red " fire alarm "

And is anyone requiring a lock out ???