• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Brother Maynard - Plot Device or Important Character?

Important character.

What other could there have been but he to bring forth the Holy Hand Grenade?

Who else could have known where to find the passage that would reveal its' use?

Definitely Important Character.

That they did. For although "that rabbit's dynamite", it met its match in the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

In this case, hand grenade beats dynamite.

However, although JBI brings up good points relative to British comedy as well as walking coolers, I see Brother Maynard as merely a bridge connecting the soiled armor of Sir Robin, and a rabbit who joined the bleedin' Choir Invisible ( http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~ebarnes/python/dead-parrot.htm ); an ex-rabbit, if you will.

Plot device. Start a poll.

One might view Brother Maynard as one of the first code reviewers in that he reviewed the code, in this case a holy text, and thusly spoke of it's applicability in both how it should and shouldn't be used.

Am I stretching here?

I think you are on to something because even after being told exactly what was required, Arthur still got it wrong.

brudgers said:
I think you are on to something because even after being told exactly what was required, Arthur still got it wrong.
Amazing Arthur's whole quest wasn't immediately shut down, and he wasn't subsequently fined by OSHA. And to mention, or think of, all the building code violations that occured in the first three castles that were built on the swamp, but sank. Whose AHJ is that? Did they every fall asleep at the wheel. Could have used a Brother Maynard there if you ask me, Yes indeed they could have.

brudgers said:
What about all those stairs without handrails?
A castle is a man's home, and therefore it would fall under the IRC, which in some forums would imply that yes, the interior stairs should at least comply for handrail and guardrail requirements.

I believe it also stated in Chapter 26 of the IRC that no dwelling shall be permitted two holy grails.

It's more than three stories above grade plane, so NOT a ResCode building... an R-3 in the IBC, therefore sprinklers required.

JBI said:
It's more than three stories above grade plane, so NOT a ResCode building... an R-3 in the IBC, therefore sprinklers required.
How exactly does one define grade plane for a swamp? Secondly, isn't the structure designed to sink into the swamp. Couldn't we just give it a bit, and then inspect it as a two story castle with one story below swamp grade?

Cistercian monk Brother Maynard said:
Dear Brave Sir Brudgers,

I believe this passage as read by Friar Pan, should provide answer and insight for your question"

Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, verses (also known as sections) 9-21, “ ...And Saint Attila (patron saint of inspectors) raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O LORD (building official) , bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies (code violators) to tiny bits, in Thy mercy." And the LORD (building official) did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... [skiping a bit]... And the LORD (building official) spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin (Anchor Bolt), then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe (code violators), who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it." Amen.
brudgers...I am assuming that what Brother Maynard is implying is that Holy Grail shaped beacon shall be a minimum of three, but no larger than five. Is that what you got out of the code too?