• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building area

D

DwightB

Definition of building area, 502.1, where it says "portions of building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above". Does that mean that, on a one story building, anywhere that I may have a canopy, the outline of "building area" moves from inside the exterior walls to the outside edge of the fascia?

This suggests that a simple 200 square foot porch adds as much fire hazard and risk to inhabitants as if there were walls, doors and windows containing people and controlling their escape.

(--wouldn't that be a vertical projection of the roof, like the rain-drip line?)

Last edited:
You need to apply judgement and discretion. The area under a canopy or other projections is not included in the building area.

Yes, the canopy would be included in the building area. If sprinklers are involved, these areas would also require protection.

DwightB said:
........This suggests that a simple 200 square foot porch adds as much fire hazard and risk to inhabitants as if there were walls, doors and windows containing people and controlling their escape.......
Nothing is simple.

Here if it's a bar they want to use it for a smoking area. Your plans may vary.

Years ago Code Congress told me that if the roof’s projection could be used to expand the building’s walls easily to enclose the space then yes that part of the roof would be included in the building’s area. Typical overhangs of 12” to 24” would not. There was a section in the SBC that addressed porches but I cannot find the same in the IBC. Appendix D102.2.8 addresses canopies and #4 of that section list the maximum horizontal width similar to what the SBC had.