• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building area

Codegeek

The building code defines building area as "the area included within surrounding exterior walls (or exterior walls and firewalls) exclusive of vent shafts and courts. Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above". How many of you would include a roof overhang such as in the image below within the building area, specifically for allowable area calculations?

View attachment 1568

View attachment 1568

/monthly_2011_07/Capture.JPG.c39dd92df73a19eac9eeb9721e30bd6e.JPG

More and more municipalities are including it

Most that I am dealing with are

They Consider the awnings as a roof structures

I would not consider that awning and the area under it in the allowable area calculations. If you had, say, a grocery store, with the roof of the building projecting 12 feet beyond the building, with several support posts coming down, for the outdoor cart storage area, I would include that area because it is "the roof above". This separate and distinct awning, IMHO, doesn't qualify as building area.Here is a picture below (maybe not the best example), of what I think the definition section of Ch5 building area refers to when talking about projections of roof and area not bound by walls.

View attachment 463

View attachment 463

/monthly_2011_07/safeway.jpg.10e5e56fe142b4b75de37e32cb574d9a.jpg

Case by case.....kinda agree with righter, if it is usable space, include it,(and maybe sprinkler it), small overhang at door, not so much...

The awning is not a part of the building's roofed area. I agree that the one with the gable feature would be part of the building area.

Depends upon the structural configuration of the projection, if projection can be removed without causing the wall/building to fall, then I am on board without counting it as building area...... Another example is a pre-engineered building where the store front (non-load bearing wall) is recessed about 10 to 20 feet back to create a overhang.

Since the pre-engineered building's roof example is creating the overhang, then the roofed recess would be considered to be part of the building area. You can easily take in the recess area for usuable interior space without a whole lot of work to enclose the recess. If the overhang is part of the building's roof then it is included in the building area.

I would disagree as the structural columns in front are a part of the building's structure supporting the roof load above - per the building code definition - any area under the projection of the roof.....Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof or floor above.

Besides, at some point and time, they are using this space a retail space.... never ever seen a sidewalk sale???

Definition of "Roof Assembly" A system designed to provide weather protection and resistance to design loads. (let's hope it is) The system consists of a roof covering, and a roof deck OR a single component serving as both the roof covering and the roof deck. (that's what it looks like to me) A roof assembly includes the roof deck (check) vapor retarder (?) substrate or thermal barrier, (don't think so) insulation, (nope) vapor retarder, (?) and roof covering (yes)

That clears it right up, doesn't it?

The commentary adds "With respect to it's application as it relates to chapter 15, a roof assembly is an assembly of interacting roof components (including the roof deck) desinged to weatherproof and normally to insulate a building's top surface." That would make it seem as though for this discussion the insulation and vapor barrier are of little importance.

I believe Builder Bob meant to say Structural Cantilevered Beams instead of Structural Columns