• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Code College

Interesting

Always wanted a phd in decks

If someone takes the course can you post a critique ???

Oh, , , I ran into the bolting pattern course just a few days ago on YouTube, watched it, and found it to be excellent.

Sheesh, that's absurd, they need to cut the fee by a factor of 10... do they really expect people to pay 4x $150 for a short course on decks? Do you know how many sunset books on deck building I can buy for $600?

Thinking out loud, I see even relatively small manufacturers offer ceu's for taking their infomercials. What does it take to create accredited short courses, say for an income stream for a forum.

Hello, friends.

Thank you, GBrackins, for sharing the information about the online code school I have created. Thanks as well for the positive feedback and constructive criticism from everyone else.

Building Code College.com is an ICC Approved Education Provider Partner, and intends to earn approval for all our future courses. See our listing on ICC

I won't bore you with a big marketing pitch (I already did that in the welcome thread...). Instead, check out our inside look video and our website. It provides a screen capture of the online environment and a fast forward of a course session. I'm happy to answer any questions.

cda has a point, let's get a critique...or five.

The next five members of this forum (that are genuinely interested in the course topic) that send an email to office@buildingcodecollege.com will get free enrollment in The Existing Structure, including .3 ICC CEU's (if you pass the exam). You must tell me a few things about yourself and then you must give a constructive critique on this thread. Please play nice with me so I can guide this school to accommodate our industry. :)

1) Your screen name from this forum

2) Contractor, Designer, Inspector, Plans analyst or what?

3) Email address for log-in

4) First and last name

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get stookey to write a completely new course, on something he has not talked on???

How much does it cost for three tenths of one ceu? I saw mention of $150 per course.

That would make some of DRP's postings worth what, $11 or so?

Dr. J just dropped a $3 post at commercial mechanical.

I'd go for it Glen, but I'd rather have other subjects to choose from that I need for future certifications. I don't see how the new deck on existing building is going to help me with that.

Rider Rick said:
No thanks Glenn.
Thank you. I acknowledge your opinion.

cda said:
Can you get stookey to write a completely new course, on something he has not talked on???
I have no idea what that means. That's okay, I'm sure others understood. :popcorn

ICE said:
How much does it cost for three tenths of one ceu? I saw mention of $150 per course. That would make some of DRP's postings worth what, $11 or so?

Dr. J just dropped a $3 post at commercial mechanical.
There is a direct relationship of time to CEU. I can only offer .1 (1/10) per hour of "contact time". This is controlled by ICC. The first class has about 2.5 hours of video (including over 150 photos and graphics), 9 3-question practice quizzes and a 25 question final exam. There is also a self-study and reference section for each session intended to guide the student in self learning and application. To complete it all, it is about 4 hours, but it is broken up into shorter sessions. I could only get ICC to approve it for .3 CEUs (3 hours). The ICC campus charges $40 per CEU, compared to $50 at BCC. Okay...I'm a bit more expensive.

Of course...right now its $0.00 per CEU for you...I can't get it much cheaper than that... :)

Yankee said:
I'd go for it Glen, but I'd rather have other subjects to choose from that I need for future certifications. I don't see how the new deck on existing building is going to help me with that.
Thanks for your feedback, Yankee. Yes, I realize I chose an industry that's hardly respected and my first course is even more of a niche. I'm okay with that. I'm teaching for the sake of learning. I realize not every course will attract everyone. I hope to have one that does interest your professional growth one day. I have also studied for ICC certifications, 15 of them, so I understand that is a completely different approach in regard to choosing content to study. However, if you design, review, build or inspect decks in your career, then I believe this information will be very helpful to you.

I am taking a whole new approach to code education, don't be afraid folks ;) Education that comes from those that live it in application. Education from a source with nothing to sell you but learning...CEU's are just bonus. Education that focuses on the application of the code and leaves the text to the student to read on their own. Education that's not just designed to help you pass certification exams.

This is education intended to help contractor and inspector work together and understand the same principles together. Education that recognizes that learning the grey...the intent and purpose...isn't provided in the code provision alone. Education to promote the knowledge of our country's most widely adopted construction standards...because good construction...is a good thing.

I look forward to hearing the opinions of those that take advantage of this free opportunity to try out something new.

There's still 3 spots left.

I'm stepping down...this soapbox hurts my feet.

I can't remember how many CEUs are required for me to renew my certs. I think it is 6. Given one CEU for being employed I would need five more. ICC courses would cost about $900. Your rate bumps it up to $1180. That's not too pricey. I get all the CEUs that I need from training provided by my employer and I seldom deal with decks so I'll pass on your offer of the free training.

Now should you decide to pay me $350 [that's a steal], I'll take the time and critique your training course. If it is the same as the one that GBrackins provided at the BCC, somebody should have edited out the fart, or was it a cough. Well whatever, you get the idea on how valuable my criticism can be.

Glenn said:
Thank you. I acknowledge your opinion.I have no idea what that means. That's okay, I'm sure others understood. :popcorn

There is a direct relationship of time to CEU. I can only offer .1 (1/10) per hour of "contact time". This is controlled by ICC. The first class has about 2.5 hours of video (including over 150 photos and graphics), 9 3-question practice quizzes and a 25 question final exam. There is also a self-study and reference section for each session intended to guide the student in self learning and application. To complete it all, it is about 4 hours, but it is broken up into shorter sessions. I could only get ICC to approve it for .3 CEUs (3 hours). The ICC campus charges $40 per CEU, compared to $50 at BCC. Okay...I'm a bit more expensive.

Of course...right now its $0.00 per CEU for you...I can't get it much cheaper than that... :)

Thanks for your feedback, Yankee. Yes, I realize I chose an industry that's hardly respected and my first course is even more of a niche. I'm okay with that. I'm teaching for the sake of learning. I realize not every course will attract everyone. I hope to have one that does interest your professional growth one day. I have also studied for ICC certifications, 15 of them, so I understand that is a completely different approach in regard to choosing content to study. However, if you design, review, build or inspect decks in your career, then I believe this information will be very helpful to you.

I am taking a whole new approach to code education, don't be afraid folks ;) Education that comes from those that live it in application. Education from a source with nothing to sell you but learning...CEU's are just bonus. Education that focuses on the application of the code and leaves the text to the student to read on their own. Education that's not just designed to help you pass certification exams.

This is education intended to help contractor and inspector work together and understand the same principles together. Education that recognizes that learning the grey...the intent and purpose...isn't provided in the code provision alone. Education to promote the knowledge of our country's most widely adopted construction standards...because good construction...is a good thing.

I look forward to hearing the opinions of those that take advantage of this free opportunity to try out something new.

Originally Posted by cda

I have no idea what that means. That's okay, I'm sure others understood.

You do not know who Mr. Wonderful is???????

http://www.sanantonio.gov/dsd/pdf/Stookey.pdf

Glenn said:
Thank you. I acknowledge your opinion.I have no idea what that means. That's okay, I'm sure others understood. :popcorn

Don't get me wrong, I need and want to learn for learning sake and for more knowledge out in the field. It is a money issue, , , these courses are expensive in my view.

I knew I'd get honest opinions here, so thanks. I hear you loud and clear about the price and will continue to work toward reducing it.

First, I look forward to hearing some feedback on this thread from those trying it out. That way you have some other opinions about the school, the course and it's value...from someone other than me.

The next course in the series, Ledgers and Lateral Loads, is likely to be of more interest. If you haven't seen the attention in the 2009 and 2012 IRC in regard to ledgers, then your missing a major shift to the conventional deck construction that our country has come to understand. I will be opening that one soon.

Five of our peers have accepted the free enrollment, but one was unsure of his internet connection for video content. To be sure we get at least 5 critics that I can learn from, I'll add one more.

One more spot for the free offer!

Here is a video that takes you inside the session Safety Glazing 1 of The Existing Structure.

[video=youtube;5T5MgfL2s6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5MgfL2s6w

LEDGERS AND LATERAL LOADS. (FREE course offer)

The second course in the Building Codes for Building Decks educational series is now available online. As we await the anticipated approval from ICC to offer CEU's for this course, we would again like to offer five free enrollments to this course. We hope this will allow us to gain perspective from various construction industry professionals regarding the course and the online campus, through their honest and constructive criticism.

Here are some statistics about this course.

-There are nine separate learning sessions: loads, lumber properties, exterior cladding, ledger flashing, ledger attachment, lateral displacement, lateral deformation and alternative ledger connections

-There over 275 photo and graphic examples in the 3 hours of educational video distributed throughout the nine learning sessions.

-NEW in this course, the exact IRC code provisions related to each learning session can be displayed within the course. After the student watches the interpretation of the instructor in the video, they are able to read the code and form their own interpretation.

Go to www.buildingcodecollege.com/free to register

I have no issues with a free course offer. Paid courses are another issue however. Until there is ICC approval, I think anything paid is premature. When the courses are ICC approved they will then will hold value.

When there is a fee for these courses, there will be a fee to advertise them here. Until that time, I have no issue with someone trying to establish a new business that can be helpful to us. Some of you need to be constructive and knock off the bull**** which is aggravating me. If you have nothing constructive to say, your words aren't helping any of us.