• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building code question help

cda

Sawhorse 123
IBC 2009

Three story and each story has a rated ceiling floor assembly, and 13 r system

R-2 with garage that is attached to a unit, and direct access from the garage to the unit.

What seperation is required, draftstopping, fire blocking?

a row of garages that connect to a rated corridor, and units are on the other side of the corridor. No direct access to the units.

What seperation is required, draftstopping, fire blocking?

code sections?

Thanks for the help

I'm assuming Type V construction, correct?

First questions - draftstopping may not be required if all concealed locations are sprinklered. Section 717.3.2 exception #2. Fireblocking is required. Garage separation is in 406.1.4.

For the row of garages, same thing on the fireblocking and draftstopping. The corridor would have to provide the separation required in 406.1.4 as the garage still needs to be separated from the dwelling unit.

Yes type V

No , concealed spaces not sprinkled

Would the ceiling floor assembly also have to be separated between the garage and unit, even though the garage is completely sheet rocked

I would say yes, the floor/ceiling assembly between the garage and the unit would need to be separated. I'm looking at the IBC Commentary for Section 406.1.4 and it indicates that the intent is to separate all adjacent areas from the garage. Providing the separation in the floor/ceiling assembly would help to prevent the spread of the fire from the garage should the separation fail, thus compartmentalizing the garage.

You need to review NFPA 13, Section 8.15. The sprinkler contractor is taking advantage of one of the 14 provisions that does not require sprinklers in those spaces. Now compare it to the IBC. Let me know how that works out because it most likely won't be to your advantage when you review IBC Chapter 7.

A 13r system is installed

The Bo figured out when and where for fire blocking was required