• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Codes Books

MarcusGeiser

Bronze Member
I am primarily a residential remodeler. Up until this point all the work I have done has been very simple. I have went to Certainteed and taken their courses that teach installation methods for Roofing, Siding, and Insulation. I want to take the next step. I want to learn the codes.

What book(s) should I buy? I go to ebay and Amazon and I am overloaded with different texts. Also are the guides worth getting as well?

Do you do

Actual remodel / additions

Plumbing

Electrical

Mechanical

?????

Check with your local jurisdiction. The information for Oregon is outdated, I do not know about other States

I just want to be a professional. I have been working primarily for real estate investor's. Many get a bad name just because they hire guys that "know" what they are doing. It amazes me what a guy can accomplish with a home depot card and a little recklessness. I believe I have found a profitable niche and want to be able to provide the highest quality possible. It hasn't always been this way but today I refuse to work for anyone whose goal is to cut every corner to the finish line.

Tomorrow I will call my local inspector and ask him what he suggests I do.

Just wondering if you worked in a specific trade

That way could narrow which code books may apply

Give me a call. (307) 686-5260. California is about to go through a major change by adopting the IRC with amendments. You are surly on the right track. I would like to help you navigate the dark waters of code.