• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

"Building Condominium"

mcb

New build, 27000 sq ft, one owner. Will be used for records, billing, etc. for medical. They are labeling it a condominium with 2 or 3 suites. I'm guessing one section is dental records and one for doctors records. Is tenant separation required?

Re: "Building Condominium"

mcb, welcome to the forum.

It would really help if you let us know where you are located and the codes in effect.

See "Tenant separation" at IBC 708.1

Malls require "tenant separation". Dentists and doctors offices do not require "tenant" separation as the entire building in your case appears owned by a single tenant.

The separations you indicated may simply be separation due to storage areas within the building. See IBC Section 701 through 708 and Table 706.3.9.If the building is protected throughout by an NFPA 13 system, separation could be either reduced or eliminated.

Other separation has nothing to do with tenants except at apartments.

Also, "condominium" is not a building type but a form of ownership. See an attorney for deed restrictions and condominium articles of incorporation.

Just a little paranoid, I guess. With the economy as it is, although there is one owner he could easily rent to another party should he want to. Falls under th Michigan Building Code 2006. To me a condo sounds like two separate and distinct buildings. This didn't come up until permits were issued.

mcb said:
Just a little paranoid, I guess. With the economy as it is, although there is one owner he could easily rent to another party should he want to. Falls under th Michigan Building Code 2006. To me a condo sounds like two separate and distinct buildings. This didn't come up until permits were issued.
The building is the building.

The title is the title.

The building issue is tenants.

Check the plans as submitted against the code without worrying about the form of Ownership.

You can't reject a plan over possible future actions (unless you're talking about zoning).

Condo to me means he will sell ownership of the tenant space instead of renting the tenant space. When he gets all tenant spaces sold good luck getting common area stuff done...

Condo to me means he will sell ownership of the tenant space instead of renting the tenant space. When he gets all tenant spaces sold good luck getting common area stuff done...
When a condominium association is established under the laws of your state there is no more "he" to get stuff done. It is a legal entity under the laws of your state.

Here is a link explaining what a condominium is and how it is suppose to operate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condo

TJacobs said:
A single entity can own multiple condominium units.

It's typically the way all condo projects start out.

So long as there is a single tenant, there's nothing in the building code regulating the build-out so far as I am aware.