• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Designer (Unlicensed) - "forum"

Interesting thread. Although I am myself a design consultant, usually to an architect, faced many of same issues.

Just a footnote. It seems in NYS, houses over 1500 sf require sealed drawings for permit.

Here in Washington state, I can only design residential structures, and I cannot use any form of the word 'architect' in the operation of my business. I'm not big on titles personally, but 'residential building designer" is something simple that a client understands and is in keeping with the law.

Agreed, it is not uncommon to have to explain to a client that I am not an architect or an engineer when I sense that they are under the impression I am. They rarely understand the distinctions. However, this is always during that initial contact and I don't feel like doing so has ever changed anyone's mind about working with me.

I've always taken the approach that if I cannot design the structure prescriptively, then the engineer is to design everything, rather than trying to mix up the two methods. So my engineer knows that when I send them a set of plans they are responsible for all the structural aspects of the design.

As a business, I don't make money correcting plans, getting stuck in plan review, or dealing with 3rd parties having trouble using my plans. I make money by making satisfied clients, building officials and contractors. I work online, almost exclusively, I rarely meet clients anymore...who are invariably referred to me by someone else. None of them can see the certificates, diplomas and degrees I don't have hanging on my wall. They only want to know whether I can do the job properly. How I learned how to do that job is never a concern.

I am always overbooked...

Actually, in Washington state, you can design small commercial buildings not exceeding 4,000 sq.ft.

Actually, in Washington state, you can design small commercial buildings not exceeding 4,000 sq.ft.

I stand corrected...I had to go re-read the WAC here. I don't do commercial work and only copied the part pertaining to residential for my records. As a rule I've always turned all commercial work away and left the IBC stuff to the architects.