• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building gas shut off

fireguy

Gold Member
I am changing the natural gas piping in a resturant. There is a an existing 2 inch ball valve that shuts off the gas supply to the cooking appliances. The handle stop is broken off and will not stop the handle in the "off" postion. I want to replace the broken valve with a nipple. The inspector tells me I need to install a new valve, as the gas code requires a building shut off. My position is the meter has a shut off valve that shuts off building gas supply. Neither of us can find anything in the 2010 Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code that specifically allows or disallows my position or the inspectors position.

I am installing new gas shut offs to each individual appliance and new 48 inch flexx hoses. There was a mechanical gas shut off when I installed the fire suppression system about 15 years ago. I assume it is still in place and works. I have not serviced hte suppression system for several years, I was too expensive. So an unlicensed hack did the service, or at least hung a tag

Just a question; Does the meter require a 'tool' of some sort to close the valve?

If it does I'd use a new valve just for my piece of mind.

Valves behind equipment are kinda hard to get to in an emergency.

I agree with your position. More than likely, the fire crews would agree as well. Our pre-plans show the location of the meter so the gas may be shut off. To my knowledge, they don't even look for an independent shut-off downstream of the meter.

I wasn't thinking about the FD. They will get it done.

I was thinking about staff/managers if the Ansul system doesn't shut the gas off.

1. As is common with gas meters, a wrench is needed to shut off the building gas supply.

2. In my 20 years on the tailboard, we never had any kind of written response for any building, not even for the schools or hospital or nursing homes. I do not think that has changed in our local department since I left 21 years ago. This building did catch fire. I was on the first truck. And I never thought about shutting any gas valves, just putting water on the fire.

3. I can show the kitchen mgr where and how to manually activate the fire system, next service, there are new/different people.

4. Pyrguy, ever seen a fryer on fire? I agree with you. But the manual shut off valve is so the appliance can be removed/repaired w/o shutting down the whole cooking line.

Thanks for the responses, Monday I go in a get a permit for gas and fire system work. Someone else is doing the duct upgrade. I am too expensive. I think the owner is going to hire an unlicensed hack, sealing the joints with silicone. Again.

I better make sure my camera batteries are charged, I will take lots of pictures.

What code is the 2010 Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code based on? The IFGC allows the meter valve (409.2) to fulfill the requirement for shutoff. If there are multiple buildings or tenants supplied by the same meter, the IFGC requires a shutoff for each (409.3).

I was on the first truck. And I never thought about shutting any gas valves, just putting water on the fire.
First due wouldn't worry about it here, either. At some point, though, the IC will delegate securing of utilities to a responding crew. That may mean they do it themselves, or it may mean they confirm it is done with utility providers who routinely respond as well.

Some providers will charge you a tampering fee if you use their meter as a shut-off.

Service shutoff. A valve, installed by the serving gas supplier between the service meter or source of supply and the customer piping system, to shut off the entire piping system.

409.2 Meter valve.

Every meter shall be equipped with a shutoff valve located on the supply side of the meter.

The code will allow you to use the meter for a single building

409.3 Shutoff valves for multiple-house line systems.

Where a single meter is used to supply gas to more than one building or tenant, a separate shutoff valve shall be provided for each building or tenant.

409.3.1 Multiple tenant buildings.

In multiple tenant buildings, where a common piping system is installed to supply other than one- and two-family dwellings, shutoff valves shall be provided for each tenant. Each tenant shall have access to the shutoff valve serving that tenant's space.

409.3.2 Individual buildings.

In a common system serving more than one building, shutoff valves shall be installed outdoors at each building.

409.3.3 Identification of shutoff valves.

Each house line shutoff valve shall be plainly marked with an identification tag attached by the installer so that the piping systems supplied by such valves are readily identified

Some providers will charge you a tampering fee if you use their meter as a shut-off.
In that case, I would be inclined to adopt a policy clarifying that a separate valve be installed to meet the intent. Do they put a tamper seal on it or something?

No, but I know of plumbers who have broken them (cut-offs) and there is a hefty fee for repairing the cut-off. If they read the meter one month and can tell that the valve has been tampered with they put a block in the line until someone fesses up. They will then charge a tampering fee.

But what if the line has not blocked or tampered then will it require some extra charge.

Removed link - SPAM

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi cda, i was just goggling over the net and came to know about this fantastic community. hoping that i will be welcomed and will learn a lot of new things from experienced persons like you.

REGARDS

Air Conditioning

plumbing services

it is your responsibility yo keep your home nice and do every thing fit and all the electrical and other plumbing works you can do by a good plumber which we offer to you and he makes plumbing services you should visit it

Mule said:
No, but I know of plumbers who have broken them (cut-offs) and there is a hefty fee for repairing the cut-off. If they read the meter one month and can tell that the valve has been tampered with they put a block in the line until someone fesses up. They will then charge a tampering fee.
Just to hijack my own thread. I was doing some gas work at another resturant. The Cascade Gas tech came by to turn on the gas for me. He broke off the valve. I learned some new words and get to learn a new dance step. It involved kicking the tires on the van and turning around in circles. And the lesson was done at no cost to me!

There's Spam all over the place.

Just to hijack your thread. If I had been the inspector on this, I'm certain that I would have asked for a support in the middle. Probably some ugly grouping of uni-strut. But here it is. It's at least 20 years old and holding up fine. Checkout the size of the pipe that enters the building in relation to the supply. So would anyone object to the shut-off valve as it is?

IMG_1617.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE, at least your gas lines are painted!

I would not object to the size of the supply side gas valve, it's the utilities valve, right? Should be a gas valve before the first appliance, furnace maybe?

pc1