• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Official Technical Exam

righter101

Gold Member
I am studying to take the technical portion of my CBO exam. Anyone have any suggestions or feedback on taking it?? My major concern is the electrical. In our state (washington) we do not inspect electrical, it is done by the state, so I have a copy of the NEC, but I am not very familiar with it....

Any hints are appreciated.

I have 10 or so other certs, so I know the general idea on the exams...

thanks.

There are a couple of questions on hazardous locations, and locations around swimming pools. Know where to look and you will do fine

Just took that nasty bugger about 6 or so weeks ago. The NEC was my biggest challenge as well. I CAN HELP!!! I'll send you a private message with my contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:
jpranch, when are you going to take the legal/management portion. I am going to wait for you and then ask for help. ha ha

Study out of the electrical section of the IRC for a lot of basics (and use the IRC first when looking up an answer with the NEC as a backup). Bring the Electrical Code Check book to the exam, finding info in there is a breeze. You won't find info about conductor sizes etc but you will find much else.

All you young punks, taking the test on separate days and after a good night's rest.

Why when I was young we had to....

Sorry, but I took the test back in the stone ages, oh about '94. We had to bring our own slate and chalk to take the test on. :D :p

Wish I could help more but knowing WHERE to find the information is the best I could give you. It's lots of info in a little time.

You better know your conductor sizes and some basic calc's or it's good night nurse. Sizing of motors too. I'm telling you it's there! Oh, better also know grounding and bonding. Ah, almost forgot, clearances for working spaces and ANY overhead service lines.

Help is appreciated

jpranch said:
Just took that nasty bugger about 6 or so weeks ago. The NEC was my biggest challenge as well. I CAN HELP!!! I'll send you a private message with my contact info.
All help is appreciated....

righter101, I sent you a private message with my phone number. If you decide to call allow at least 30 to 45 miniutes. I have alot of specific code references that I know you will need and appriciate.

The best code referances are those you look up due to finding an issue in the field, those are the code referances that you learn or at least learn how to find next time. When you get enough of those experiences then you pass the technical exam. You can be "pointed" to any number of code referances in the book but I wish you luck finding them again when you need them.