• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Stairs within an Elevator Lobby?

MeadowBend

I have a project I'm working on with a peer and I just wanted to see if this sounded plausible. The project is on an open parking garage. It currently is 5 levels and they're in the process of adding 2 more levels. There are two required emergency exit stairs on either end which fulfill the exit requirements. There is a elevator lobby (2 cabs), which is fully enclosed with fire rated walls. The lobby is 10' deep from the opening to the cabs. The owner does not want to replace his elevators to enable them to go all the way up, but would like a staircase to run from the 5th level to the 7th, and he wants the stair to be accessed from inside the elevator lobby. So, we currently have blocked off one cab from opening on the 5th level to gain entry to the stairs that now go up. The stairs are open to the lobby.

I'm pretty sure we're okay with not making the new levels accessible, but I'm concerned with the stairs in the lobby space of the elevators, even though they are NOT emergency exits. Can you see a reason why this should not work?

Welcome

Not sure if it will fly not having elevator all the way up, cannot give you a code section

When you say stairs are open, are they going to be in a rated shaft with opening protection??

What code and edition ?? And guess this will be reviewed by a city??

how can new public work not be fully accessable, by allowing the elavor not going to all floors? does not seem to fl her in Ma.

I believe all the accessible spaces are accounted for and clearly marked. I'm wondering if having the stairs within a fire rated enclosure that goes up 3 floors will require any ventilation for smoke evac. I've just never encountered a situation like this and want to make sure it'll work. This is in the city requiring 2006 IBC.

I beleive that the stairway within the elevator lobby is a violation of the code - IMHO

I think that you may run into problems with 1018.1 -An exit shall not be used for any purpose that

interferes with its function as a means of egress.

The elevator lobby is an area of refuge and not a part of the MOE as defined in chapter 10.

An elevator lobyy is not discussed in Chapter 10 therefore is not a part of the MOE-

1003.6 Means of egress continuity. The path of egress travel along a means of egress shall not be interrupted by any building

element other than a means of egress component as specified in this chapter. Obstructions shall not be placed in the required

width of a means of egress except projections permitted by this chapter. The required capacity of a means of egress system

shall not be diminished along the path of egress travel.

Chapter 7

707.14.1 Elevator lobby. An enclosed elevator lobby shall

be provided at each floor where an elevator shaft enclosure

connects more than three stories. The lobby shall separate

the elevator shaft enclosure doors from each floor by fire

partitions equal to the fire-resistance rating of the corridor

and the required opening protection. Elevator lobbies shall

have at least one means of egress complying with Chapter

10 and other provisions within this code.

And finally - the bombshell-

3002.7 Common enclosure with stairway. Elevators shall not

be in a common shaft enclosure with a stairway.

MeadowBend said:
I have a project I'm working on with a peer and I just wanted to see if this sounded plausible. The project is on an open parking garage. It currently is 5 levels and they're in the process of adding 2 more levels. There are two required emergency exit stairs on either end which fulfill the exit requirements. There is a elevator lobby (2 cabs), which is fully enclosed with fire rated walls. The lobby is 10' deep from the opening to the cabs. The owner does not want to replace his elevators to enable them to go all the way up, but would like a staircase to run from the 5th level to the 7th, and he wants the stair to be accessed from inside the elevator lobby. So, we currently have blocked off one cab from opening on the 5th level to gain entry to the stairs that now go up. The stairs are open to the lobby.I'm pretty sure we're okay with not making the new levels accessible, but I'm concerned with the stairs in the lobby space of the elevators, even though they are NOT emergency exits. Can you see a reason why this should not work?
Should work and be code complaint, with an open parking garage structure.

MeadowBend said:
I have a project I'm working on with a peer and I just wanted to see if this sounded plausible. The project is on an open parking garage. It currently is 5 levels and they're in the process of adding 2 more levels. There are two required emergency exit stairs on either end which fulfill the exit requirements. There is a elevator lobby (2 cabs), which is fully enclosed with fire rated walls. The lobby is 10' deep from the opening to the cabs. The owner does not want to replace his elevators to enable them to go all the way up, but would like a staircase to run from the 5th level to the 7th, and he wants the stair to be accessed from inside the elevator lobby. So, we currently have blocked off one cab from opening on the 5th level to gain entry to the stairs that now go up. The stairs are open to the lobby.I'm pretty sure we're okay with not making the new levels accessible, but I'm concerned with the stairs in the lobby space of the elevators, even though they are NOT emergency exits. Can you see a reason why this should not work?
Sounds compliant to me once there is independent access from the parking area to the stair at level 5 in addition to the access from elevator lobby. The elevator cannot be part of the MOE - but I cant anything preventing egress from the elevator lobby direct to the stair.