• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Building Width?

Uncle Bob

2009 IRC, Table R502.5(1) Building Width (feet) note C. Building Width is measured perpendicular to the ridge.

Questions:

1. Is this the entire building width?

2. Or in the case of a part of the building; for example a garage that extends past the rest of the home referring to only that section of the building?

3. Or in the case of a header in the middle of a home; is the width measured at that point of the home only?

Thanks,

I have always interpreted 'building width" as the rafter run x2. In a simplified rectangular house, say 28' wide x 50' long, a 14' rafter run will bear on the exterior header.

mj

mjesse said:
I have always interpreted 'building width" as the rafter run x2. In a simplified rectangular house, say 28' wide x 50' long, a 14' rafter run will bear on the exterior header.mj
I agree. It is that width in the location you are assessing.

I've visualized the tributary area to the girder or header the table is assuming and describing. The table makes assumptions that may not be true in all cases, for instance joists and rafters may not be running in the same direction.