• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Burn Tower

Cjack

GREENHORN
I am an architect for a local fire district for which we are building a new fire house. In addition to the new fire house they are also wanting to construct a separate 3 story burn tower for training purposes fabricated from used shipping containers. The structure has been designed and fabricated separately by a national company that has built several of these throughout the country and are familiar with the structural requirements. We have been asked by our client to assist burn tower fabricator in helping to secure a building permit for the structure. Because it is a 3 story structure the local AHJ is wanting justification for not enclosing the 3 story interior stairs or providing the required separation from the 3 story exterior stairs. I'm not sure how to respond to this request? Is this considered an "occupied" structure? If so, is it a "U" occupancy and how does that help? Any suggestions / help would be appreciated.

Is enclosing the exterior stairs consistent with the experience the burn tower needs to provide to properly train the fire personnel? If not, threaten to have the fire department raise this issue with the City Council.

Is enclosing the exterior stairs consistent with the experience the burn tower needs to provide to properly train the fire personnel? If not, threaten to have the fire department raise this issue with the City Council.
Do not listen to this non-sense. Mark is ever the one to incite drama. The approach suggested is poor.

I am an architect for a local fire district for which we are building a new fire house. In addition to the new fire house they are also wanting to construct a separate 3 story burn tower for training purposes fabricated from used shipping containers. The structure has been designed and fabricated separately by a national company that has built several of these throughout the country and are familiar with the structural requirements. We have been asked by our client to assist burn tower fabricator in helping to secure a building permit for the structure. Because it is a 3 story structure the local AHJ is wanting justification for not enclosing the 3 story interior stairs or providing the required separation from the 3 story exterior stairs. I'm not sure how to respond to this request? Is this considered an "occupied" structure? If so, is it a "U" occupancy and how does that help? Any suggestions / help would be appreciated.
First off welcome to the forum.

Second, I would take the request straight back to the burn tower supplier. I would have to venture a guess that if they are reputable, that they can answer all the questions to the product they are supplying for a specific purpose.

Since the majority of the USA is using once of the model ICC and NFPA codes or standards that apply to this facility I would hope they have a complete understanding of the permitting process even though they don't pull the permits maybe themselves.

Basically, the structure needs to comply to some sort of code and standard and as thus they need to know what those are in order to provide the product, especially since it is for a specific training purpose in life safety.

Just my thoughts...

Reactions: ICE
$ ~ $

Cjack,

Also, ...a Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :)

"Threatening" is incendiary and should not be followed !

Q1): Have you spoken with the AHJ Fire Dept. to get their
input ?.........Q2): Which Codes \ Standards are applicable ?

This Link is to WHP TrainingTowers in Grandview, MO.

Their web site appears to offer some viable resources and
an offer for questions
about their product.

The Burn Tower "might" also be classified as a B Occupancy Group.
From the 2018 Edition of the IBC, Section 304.1

"Training and skill development not in a school or academic program
( this shall include, but not be limited to, tutoring centers, martial
arts studios, gymnastics and similar uses regardless of the ages

served, and where not classified as a Group A occupancy )".

$ ~ $

Last edited: