• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BVD Car Wash

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Have a car was submission where the proposed permit holder will be acting as the GC and does not have contracts in place yet for some of the trades. His employees will be taking care of most of the building portions (never works out good).

Anyway, this is a 4 bay car was with one of them being an automatic bay and a mechanical room. All total about 2300 square feet. He is trying to tell me that the whole thing is going to cost about $100,000 in order to keep permit costs down so I am opting to get a realistic number by using the BVD. The stamped drawings call it a VB construction and a B occupancy. I would use that column but then feel as though I should deduct the 20% for "shell only". Thoughts?

Re: BVD Car Wash

So, Jeff, PA does not have licnesing for GC's?

In GA you can do your own work on yr own home ("castle doctrine"), but not commercial work.

First - do the PA laws allow unlicensed contractors to do commercial work? Just asking, not allowed here (or most other states). Second - ask for a contract from the car wash equipment supplier for the valuation of the equipment, then add your shell valuation.

I don't know if I would take it back to a core/shell price, it still has some plumbing/mech/electrical for the washing operation. Don't have a BVDT in front of me, but even though it is a B, is the another occupancy that more closely fits? Say, a F-2, or a S-2?

In 07 I had an existing repair garage convert to a carwash 1 automatic bay and 2 self wash bays 4500 sq ft contractors cost $503,000.00

In 04 a one bay automatic carwash, new 1473 sq ft building $312,622.00 contractors cost.

All cost include equipment as it is part of the building

No GC licensing in PA. Anyone can act as their own GC. This is always a problem.

Thanks for the pricing examples. I appreciate the input