• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

BWP's and Rim Board Headers

SDS

2018 IRC...

Looking at R301.2.2.6 Irregular Buildings
...Item #3 Braced Panels over openings below.

It specifies it is allowed as long as you provide a certain minimum header size dependent on the opening size.

Can a rim joist header, as specified in R602.7.2 Rim Board Headers be used to satisfy the requirements of the Irregular Building section's Item #3?

I suspect you can, but probably not without engineering.

"Rim board headers supporting concentrated loads shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice."

I would think that a braced wall panel would qualify as a concentrated load, at least during a seismic event. As section you're referencing (R301.2.2.6) is under "seismic provisions" I would be thinking of it that way.

I suspect you can, but probably not without engineering.

"Rim board headers supporting concentrated loads shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice."

I would think that a braced wall panel would qualify as a concentrated load, at least during a seismic event. As section you're referencing (R301.2.2.6) is under "seismic provisions" I would be thinking of it that way.

But Item #3 of the Irregular Buildings section is in fact allowing a braced panel over a header, so my question is;

Does it matter whether the header is framed in the wall below or is a rim board header above the wall allowed to satisfy item #3, as long as the braced panel does not sit entirely over the opening below it?