• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Calculating Volume Fill of Conductors Passing Through A Box In an Unbroken Loop

Robert Ellenberg

I would appreciate those of you who know the eletrical code well if I am reading these sections of the IRC correctly and if so, does the NEC read the same way.

My question revolves around calculating fill volume of boxes in looped outlets. Part of E3805.12.2.1 Conductor fill, reads as follows, "Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and eah conductor that passes through the box witout splice or termination having a length equal to or greater than twice that required for free conductors by section E3306.10.3, shall be counted twice." Then E3306.10.3 Length of conductor for splice or termination reads, "where conductors are to be spliced, terminated or connectd to fixtures or devices, a minimum length of 6 inches of free conductor shall be provided at each outlet, junction or swith point."

I cannot find a definition for "free conductor" but 3805.12.2.1 seems to be making a distinction between having a continuous wire that is looped inside a box vs one that is cut. However, 3306.10.3 almost reads as if that loop has to be at least 12" in length except it also uses the term I cannot find defined, free conductor, and makes no reference to looped conductors.

So here is the question: can you bring a NM cable into the box as a loop less that 12" in total length, skin a section of insulation off of the midpoint, wrap it around a receptical screw and count it as a single conductor? If not, why not as it seems to meet these requirements as they are written.

I have a shallow wall section with a 1-7/8" deep handy box in a kitchen wall where I would like to loop my #12 wires into the box but it is only 13CI. My current plan is to bring a single piece of NM cable to each outlet and lead them to a junction box under the house. But if what I describe above is a correct reading of the code, it would save having to mess with those junction boxes.

I think you need to count the wire as 2. The device seems to terminate each side of the wire regardless of if it is cut or not.

The only thing you count as one is the ground (no matter how many there are), and one just passing thru (not spliced.. a tourist on a tour bus)... the problem is that the device is counted twice. # 12 is 2.25 per conductor; if it's a single box, you need to add 4.5 for the device (switch, receptacle, etc). I don't see the definition for conductor, free or free conductor either.

314.16(B)(1) Conductor Fill. Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once. Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14 shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated using Table 314.16(B). A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted.