• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California Building Code Section 1014.2.4 Intervening spaces

miguele3

Bronze Member
Does a coffee area with only coffee and a sink qualify as one of the intervening rooms that egress is not allowed through? It not as much a room as an aisle. What about copy machines and millwork?

Are you worried about "Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes."?

A coffee maker and a sink is not a kitchen.....Nor does it pose the same hazard.

Hi Mark, that is exactly what I'm worried about. The AHJ- Fire says the following: "While I appreciate your interpretations of code, they are not necessarily what I go by. Recent past experiences with similar configurations on other projects have presented equal challenges, and I’m not entirely convinced that this project is any different. My interpretation of the applicable code section is that egress cannot pass through a kitchen, storage room, closet or spaces used for similar purposes".

Does a coffee area with only coffee and a sink qualify as one of the intervening rooms that egress is not allowed through?
As a fire code official, personally I would say No to the specific question. With that said, I would or possibly could have an issue with an area used for "millwork" or "copy machines" in the event the copy area was also being used for combustible (liquid or paper) storage.