• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California Green Building Code 2010 - Sec. 5.714.7.4.3 - Interior sound transmission

PaulJi

The CGBSC 2010 requires an STC 40 for floor-ceiling assemblies between tenant spaces in a project I'm working on.

The situation is the existing building has only 3/4" T&G subflooring and Open web trusses (TJS's at 24" oc.)..without ceiling or carpet etc.

The City Plan Reviewer asked for a floor-ceiling assembly from a lab test report and would accept an assembly in the Gypsum Association's manual.

My contractor states: "I don’t understand the difference between an assembly that consists of joists with a plywood surface above and ACT below, regardless of whether it occurs at a roof or a floor. Why would the exact same assembly have a different STC rating?" in other words what is the difference between an STC rated floor-ceiling assembly and an STC rating of a ATC ceiling that one adds below a structural system with a subfloor.

Obviously the contractor would rather not provide a floor-ceiling assembly with carpet/padding/plywood or (lightweight concrete) /RC channels and drywall in addition to an ACT lay-in ceiling which by itself has an STC rating of 40.

Is this an code requirement that one could successfully negotiate with a building official?

I guess my question is whether the code requirements for an STC rating for a floor-ceiling assembly are radically different from the requirements for an STC rating of a ceiling assembly?

BTW There is no requirement for a fire-resistant rated floor-ceiling assembly in this building.

You can also look at the Catalog of STC and IIC Ratings for Wall and Floor-Ceiling Assemblies, as published by the Office of Noise Control, California Department of Health Services http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/CaseStudies/stc_icc_ratings.pdf

Or contact the truss Manufacurer for some of their tested Assemblies

And no there is not a radical difference between FC Assemblies and RC Assemblies, But there is a difference.

GA-600 also has some floor/ceiling assemblies with STC ratings. However, all of them have some sort of ceiling membrane (tyipically gypsum board) attached to the underside of the joists. I seriously doubt you will be able to achieve an STC 40 with only 3/4" T&G subflooring.

RLGA said:
I seriously doubt you will be able to achieve an STC 40 with only 3/4" T&G subflooring.
You will NOT be able to achieve an STC 40 with only 3/4" T&G subflooring

Why am I not surprised to learn that the great state of California has an Office of Noise Control?

I wonder, do we have an Office of Nose Control?

ICE said:
Why am I not surprised to learn that the great state of California has an Office of Noise Control? I wonder, do we have an Office of Nose Control?
I heard the DEA took over their responsibilities.