• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California + Level landing required at elevator door opening?

JPohling

Sawhorse
We are remodeling a few elevator lobbies in a high rise. The intent is to remove the flooring materials and go with a polished concrete aesthetic. We have accomplished this on many buildings. We have a new building that has a bit of a beveled slope at the elevator door entries.

From my initial code review it does not look like the door openings to an elevator have a level landing requirement. 11B.407.2

The elevator control buttons are required to have a level landing for the button operation. 11B 407.2.1.3

So my thought is that the path onto the elevator is much more similar to an accessible route - walking surface that would allow a 5% running slope.
Does anyone have a code section that I missed in my review to reach this conclusion? Agree or disagree?

A landing is2% max....Typically
Agreed, but nothing in the code indicates this is a landing. 11B-407.2 Elevator landing requirements. Only mentions a landing required at the car controls.

Is this a automatic door maneuvering space? I could see that requiring a level landing. But, I have also had level landing requirements eliminated when we equip the door with an automatic operator.

You use ANSI?

407.2 Elevator Landing Requirements​

Elevator landings shall comply with Section 407.2.

407.2.1.3 Clear Floor Space

A clear floor space shall be provided at call controls.

305.2 Floor Surfaces

Floor surfaces of a clear floor space shall comply with Section 302. Changes in level shall not be permitted within the clear floor space.
Exception: Slopes not steeper than 1:48 shall be permitted.

You use ANSI?

407.2 Elevator Landing Requirements​

Elevator landings shall comply with Section 407.2.

407.2.1.3 Clear Floor Space

A clear floor space shall be provided at call controls.

305.2 Floor Surfaces

Floor surfaces of a clear floor space shall comply with Section 302. Changes in level shall not be permitted within the clear floor space.
Exception: Slopes not steeper than 1:48 shall be permitted.
Steve, we have a level floor surface at the call controls. I am wondering about the path thru the automatic doors and onto the elevator.
Could you consider the transition threshold, level to the elevator floor track and with slope?
View attachment 11036
We are trying to avoid a threshold piece if possible.

JPohling, I think you are correct. 404.2.4.4 level (<2% slope all directions) floor compliance with 302 is specifically scoped for "maneuvering clearance at doors". Assuming your elevators doors are a type of automatic power door (not manual elevator doors), then neither 404.3 nor 407.3 have any door "maneuvering clearance" requirements. Therefore the slope limitations at the automatic elevator doors are 5% main slope, 2% cross slope; and vertical changes are per 303.2 and 303.3

JPohling, I think you are correct. 404.2.4.4 level (<2% slope all directions) floor compliance with 302 is specifically scoped for "maneuvering clearance at doors". Assuming your elevators doors are a type of automatic power door (not manual elevator doors), then neither 404.3 nor 407.3 have any door "maneuvering clearance" requirements. Therefore the slope limitations at the automatic elevator doors are 5% main slope, 2% cross slope; and vertical changes are per 303.2 and 303.3
I am a bit concerned about this code section:
1690498528036.png

This is a good question, I was faced with this situation and couldn't find anything requiring a level landing at the doorway, only the controls. I even tried looking at the hoistway signage thinking it would require a level landing but I couldn't find it there either. It just seemed odd you could be met with a 5% slope leaving the elevator.

I know this thread is a little older but I was forced to track down the code for this condition and thought what I found might be helpful.

After doing some research into the elevator sill requirements, I found the standards that the state elevator inspectors refer to deep within the State of California's Dept. of Industrial Relations (CalOSHA) website. Here is a link to the document:

https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3020.html

In summary though, Chapter 11B-402.2 refers to the elevator as an accessible path of egress and therefore the path leading to it must maintain a slope of less than 1:20 or 5% in the direction of travel.
As for the link above, the Department of Industrial Relations Title 8, subchapter 6, article 7, subsection 3020 states "...Sills shall be substantially level with the floor surface of the elevator landing or shall be beveled to meet the floor surface,...".

Hopefully this gives somewhat clearer direction as to how to finish the walking surface at an elevator landing even though the verbiage they use, like "substantially", is still subject to interpretation.

Accessible routes: walking surfaces with a running slope not steeper than 1:20, doorways, ramps, curb ramps excluding the flared sides, elevators, and platform lifts.

11B-404.2.4.4 Floor or Ground Surface

Floor or ground surface within required maneuvering clearances shall comply with Section 11B-302. Changes in level, slopes exceeding 1:48, and detectable warnings shall not be permitted.

11B-407.2 Elevator Landing Requirements
Elevator landings shall comply with Section 11B-407.2.

11B-305.2 Floor or Ground Surfaces
Floor or ground surfaces of a clear floor or ground space shall comply with Section 11B-302. Changes in level, slopes exceeding 1:48, and detectable warnings shall not be permitted.

So, based on that, I Would say, 2% max at elevators

Mark, automatic doors seemingly have no maneuvering clearances. Elevator landing requirements are specific to call button areas. Beverly Hills was fine with 5% max as an accessible route.

Mark, automatic doors seemingly have no maneuvering clearances. Elevator landing requirements are specific to call button areas. Beverly Hills was fine with 5% max as an accessible route.
Because a Building inspector is okay with something does not mean it meets the letter or intent of the code.
You, as a licensed Architect can still end up in court.
Risk/liability assessment....

Mark, I was saying I believe my code analysis is accurate and BH corroborated it. Specifically plan review and this was the only issue they were focused on. The inspector initially raised the issue and I had to address it back thru plan review.