• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California - Minimum plumbing fixture calculations

JPohling

SAWHORSE
I have a multi occupancy tenant improvement where we are trying to calculate the minimum plumbing fixtures that are required. I have proposed using the ratio method where each occupancy is calculated separately. This generates a fractional number for the fixtures. Once each occupancy is calculated and generates its own fractional number all of the occupancies are totaled and then rounded up to the next higher number to establish the combined minimum fixture count.

This is the method that Ron, RLGA has described in his code corner article #33, fall 2010. This was for IBC

I am having a difficult time with a jurisdiction saying that this ratio method is per Chapter 29 of the CBuildingC which has not been adopted by California as well as this jurisdiction. It seems to me like the language regarding minimum plumbing fixtures in the 2016 CPlumbingC has the same language where the multiple occupancies are summed and then rounded up.

Am I missing something? There must be a way to use a ratio rather than just adding up more and more fixtures for each separate occupancy.

2016 CPC
T422.1.... For multiple occupancies, fractional numbers shall be first summed and then rounded to the next whole number.

You round up to the next whole number, not down to the closest number

2016 CPC
T422.1.... For multiple occupancies, fractional numbers shall be first summed and then rounded to the next whole number.

You round up to the next whole number, not down to the closest number

Mark, I absolutely agree.
I am being told that I cannot use the ratio method for a multiple occupancy project because this jurisdiction and California in general has not adopted chapter 29 of the CBC.
Essentially they want me to satisfy each occupancy with whole numbers using no ratios. As an example I have an A2 with 209 males and 209 females. For females 209 would require 6 water closets. 6 water closets will satisfy up to 300 females. I also have B occupancy and S occupancy that will have an additional 16 occupants, 8M and 8F. instead of being able to use a ratio and satisfy my requirement for the B and S with the 6 total water closets they are requiring that I provide 6 for the A2 and additional toilets for the B and the S sending the total way up.

I do not see anywhere in chapter 4 of the CPC that eliminates the ability to use the ratio method? On the contrary the language that I have pointed them too and which you highlighted would suggest that the ratio method for multi occupancies is allowed.

Mark, I absolutely agree.
I am being told that I cannot use the ratio method for a multiple occupancy project because this jurisdiction and California in general has not adopted chapter 29 of the CBC.
Essentially they want me to satisfy each occupancy with whole numbers using no ratios. As an example I have an A2 with 209 males and 209 females. For females 209 would require 6 water closets. 6 water closets will satisfy up to 300 females. I also have B occupancy and S occupancy that will have an additional 16 occupants, 8M and 8F. instead of being able to use a ratio and satisfy my requirement for the B and S with the 6 total water closets they are requiring that I provide 6 for the A2 and additional toilets for the B and the S sending the total way up.

I do not see anywhere in chapter 4 of the CPC that eliminates the ability to use the ratio method? On the contrary the language that I have pointed them too and which you highlighted would suggest that the ratio method for multi occupancies is allowed.
The quote I provided is from the CPC not the CBC Chapter 29
I know of a lot of cities in CA that do not allow the use of chapter 29 of the CBC.

Last edited:
It is the duty of the building official to interpret the code. The only thing you can do is talk to his boss, or do as he says. Nothing anyone here can say will override the AHJ of the project. Bump.