• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California plumbing code

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Just for my own curiosity:

I have a submittal that appears to be using the portions of the CPC. However, they are using what appears to be a different occupant load factor for plumbing fixtures than what they use for egress. I checked the CPC but I don't see anything that corresponds. This is an A2, and they use a factor of 30 for plumbing fixtures. Just trying to understand where this comes from. The CPC instructs to use the CBC for the total OL, but I don't see anything in that either. This is just an exercise, because they can't use it in this AHJ anyway, but I always like to know the why.

CBC 1004 for determining OL. CPC 422 for minimum required fixtures, specifically table 422.1.

You're correct, they should be using CBC to determine total occupant load, then CPC to apply minimum fixtures for that calculated load.

I read the codes, I just don't see where they come up with an occupant load factor of 30 for an A2, (tables and chairs) out of either the plumbing code or the building code. Just wondered if there was a special exception or section for them that I didn't see.

Sifu .. scroll to Table 4-1 (below Table 422.1, listing the minimum number of fixtures) and you'll find the OL factors. The A-2 would equate to "Assembly (Conference, dining/drinking, lounge (portable seating/table space)" which shows an OL factor of 30.

Apologies, I stopped reading too soon. I see it now. Makes sense now why they listed the OL factor at 30, just not from a code I can use. Thanks!

Fixture counts puzzle me sometimes. I often think to myself "wow, that's a lot of fixtures" when doing the review, but then almost always, I go out in the real world and see lines at the bathrooms, especially for women. A few weeks ago I got off a plane with my wife, it was a longish flight, so I stopped at the first restroom. My wife had to skip the first two because the lines were so long. Bars are another place that seems to continually have lines.

# # > > >

Bars, taverns, "watering holes" are social environments that promote

a lot of talking.........All that talking requires the saliva in the mouth to
be replenished regularly, which can lead to the "short term detention"
of certain beverages.

FWIW, ...iced tea does it for me !.........If I have too much iced tea with

a meal, I usually have to go to the Loo before I leave the establishment.

< < < # #