• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California Question - What uses does 1.11 NOT apply to?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
Section 1.11 of the CBC lists uses that get special attention from the Sate Fire Marshall (SFM). A partial list of uses includes Institutional, Educational, Day Care, High Rises and a handful more.

Throughout the CBC you will see text in italics that has been added by the SFM. I'm going back and forth between a local jurisdiction and an elevator vendor about 3002.4. The SFM replaces 3002.4 with section 3002.4a for applications specified in section 1.11

I'm making the argument that a particular project (Two story commercial office building) is not listed in 1.11 and that therefore section 3002.4a does not apply. Would you agree?

You mean if one of the tenants is a state organization? I could see that falling under "Any state institution or other state-owned or state-occupied building."

Neal, wait till the state entity leases a space in a fully built out non sprinklered building and the SFM requires all demise walls need to be fire rated. :)