• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

California residential fire sprinkler.....

Re: California residential fire sprinkler.....

FM William Burns said:
I believe they had representation from the CA Housing and Community Development, CBIA and CABO. Shouldn’t these representatives have addressed those “custom builders” interests?
I noticed an International Code Council representative, but not a CABO representative.

FM William Burns said:
They also had (4) interested parties and a sub-committee category for Local Issues where these types of concerns may or at minimum should have been brought up and addressed possibly.
Based on their e-mail addresses, the six "interested parties" seem to be affiliated with:

* The Northern Illinois Fire Sprinkler Advisory Board (a pro-sprinkler lobbying organization)

* The village government of Lombard, Illinois

* The village government of Mount Prospect, Illinois.

* Addison Fire Protection District #1 of Addison, Illinois

* The city government of Orange, California

* The Western States Fire Protection Company (a fire sprinkler installation company)

Jasper:

Certainly be interesting to follow the money into those groups, so those are the fine people who have formulated a recommendation that we adopt a fire sprinkler mandate.

Do homes in "Wildland-Urban Interface areas" have an even greater need for sprinklers? Granted, current codes require that their exteriors be fire-hardened, but they also tend to be further from fire stations, and often burn down in bunches.
A sprinklered home abutting a WUI area lessens the chance of a home fire extending into the wildland area. Sprinklers don't always protect just the home, they protect the surrounding area FROM the home in those situations.

By CABO I meant CA Building Officials ;)

Agree with Beach also and regarding the additional interests, the IL representation was probably due to having areas where successful implementation has been completed and monitored.

I grew up in a city in rural California. As far as I know, all of the detached homes there have at least 5' side yards.
Regarding setbacks, most of the tract homes built in SoCal since the fifties have 3' setbacks because it was allowed in the old UBC (CBC). When Cal adopted the 2006 IBC, the min. setback changed to 5'. The architects designing the multi million dollar custom homes here are always wanting to trade for a 3' setback due to the small lot sizes. My own house, origonally built in 1953...has a 3' setback, I don't have a problem with it.

ConArb wrote - "They don't even address the problems encountered in custom homes on well water"

Here is where I jump in. I live in a very rural area in CA, high unemployment, freezing weather, and not much building going on currently. Seventy-five percent of the entire county are on private wells and septic.

I am not going to argue about the efficacy of sprinklers in residential building. What I am teed off about is the fact that it is being jammed down the throats of ALL of CA with complete disregard to local economic and/or climatic conditions! Sorry State of CA, not everyone lives in LA, SF, or Sacatomato. :shock:

So, as someone who wanted to build a larger home in an SRA, they have just dashed my dreams. I cannot afford the extra requirements of tanks, sprinklers, and frost-proof plumbing to build a modest two bedroom home.

Sue, sorry for the vent.......... :evil:

Sue:

Remember when the inimitable Packsaddle named them the "Sprinkler Nazis"? Well guess what? Audi is in trouble for a commercial in the upcoming Superbowl referring to the "Green Police" since the Nazi's had "Green Police". Turns out the Nazi's had "Feuerschutzpolizei - Fire Protection Police" who wore green uniforms and enforced sprinkler laws.

Death Camps said:
German Order Police Orpo, formed from Schupo (Municipal Police) and Gendarmerie (Rural Police) by the German Interior Ministry in 1936. This act integrated the regular German police forces in the SS, incorporating all local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. The police were divided into Orpo (Regular Police), Sipo (Security Police), and Kripo (Criminal Investigation Police). The Orpo troops wore green uniforms, which is why they were commonly called "Green Police".

The Orpo was commanded by SS-Oberstgruppenführer Kurt Daluege, who was responsible to Reichsführer-SS und Chef der Deutschen Polizei Heinrich Himmler.

The Orpo was divided into the following offices:

Hauptamt Ordungspolizei - Central Command Office of the Orpo, Schutzpolizei - Municipal Police, Gendarmerie - Rural Police, Verwaltungspolizei - Administrative branch of the Orpo, command authority for all Orpo police stations, Verkehrspolizei - Traffic enforcement and road safety administration, Wasserschutzpolizei - Water Protection Service, Bahnschutzpolizei - Railway Protection Service, Postschutz - Postal Protection Service, Feuerschutzpolizei - Fire Protection Police, Luftschutzpolizei - Protection Service for civil defence and air raid rescue, Technische Nothilfe - Technical Emergency Corps, Funkschutz - Security Service to protect radio stations, and Investigation Service for illegal reception of foreign radio broadcasts, Werkschutzpolizei - Factory Protection Police.

People better start listening to Pack.

Presented here is the uniform of a senior nco "Meister" of the Feuerschutzpolizei circa 1943. The FSP were not firemen but rather armed firefighters with full police powers. They wore police green uniforms with pink-carmine piping and insignia. Pre 1941 the cuffs, collar and cap band were black, later brown. This example although dated 1943 has black trim, and the cap dark brown.

Black leather gear was worn, and the belt was worn with a blackened fire department belt buckle. As a "Meister" officer's cap cords and cap insignia were authorized, so the visor cap is correct for this tunic.
Hmmmm....I've always wanted to write traffic citations to some of the idiot drivers around here.....we'll have to change our uniform SOP. :lol:

Yep, my patch is authentic.......I should have questioned the old guy I got it from in South Florida many years ago. He was probably on his way to Brazil and I could have turned him in to the "hunters".

It's not only going to be the "Feuerschutzpolizei" in green Nazi uniforms, but since we are getting "green codes" enforced by building inspectors I guess all inspectors should start wearing green uniforms and be called "The Green Police". I think Uncle Bob would look especially good in a Nazi uniform and hat, he can throw away that old 10 gallon hat of his and look just as officious as any fire marshal. And just think of the badges, and of course guns to enforce the codes!

ca,

you might want to invest in a bullet proof vest for those sprinkler and green inspections! :mrgreen:

Hmmm...the choices.... my Glock 17L, Glock 34, SW 357 Mag......or more appropiately, the Walther PPK with the German Police holster...... :shock: